NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner's question

I note that many selling secondhand telescopes insist on buyer hand to hand collection.  Are most telescopes that delicate and does one have to take very special great care when transporting?  Obviously you wouldn't want to knock them about but I've seen quite a few on EBay get almost no bids, and often none, due I'm guessing to the fact of having to go to Kilmarnock or Wookie Hole would rather add to the cost.    I'm just thinking if one comes up nearby I might be on to a bargain.

Any thoughts much appreciated.  Cheers

Collection only for a seller guarantees the buyer sees the scope as is when the hand over takes place. My Dob was supplied by Bristol Cameras and the first one got sent back to their supplier before I even got to see it as the box was apparently heavily damaged and therefore likely the scope. So it can be a bit of a gamble. Lots of delicate optics etc involved. A lot of brand new scopes have survived travelling half way around the world before they get to the end user though.

Most of the retailers post this stuff, so with the right packaging and careful labelling (no idea how much care the couriers actually take of "handle with care") it is generally ok. I've had two scopes posted to me and both were fine, but very well packaged.

There are lots of reasons things on ebay don't sell. Make sure you get some good advice from someone in the know (eg from the forum) before spending money.

James

Everything's a trade off I suppose, travelling a long way to buy stuff is an expensive hassle, but if poss is my preferred way so I can inspect and transport it with care.

Of course, all new equipment has been transported a long way, most of the time with no issues, and with most retailers you will have no probs if stuff arrives damaged.

But second hand adds to the uncertainty, is the item actually as described ?  

Not taking a pop at sellers either, but  "excellent condition" can mean different things to some folk  :embarrassed:

Regards, Ed.

Thanks folks.  Very insightful.

I guess reading between a few lines you are sort of confirming my suspicions.  If I'm patient and one comes along locally (or where I have good reason to travel) the seller has less scope (sic) to sell and is thus likely to get a lower price.  I on the otherhand get to inspect it before I hand over dosh.  And there is no third party transport involved.

I'm not a rich person (but not poor either) and what surprised me is how low cost star gazing can be.  Guess I'm lucky I can do it in my back yard so no travel cost.  And if I keep good care of kit I can get something back when I upgrade.  For the hours of pleasure it is dirt cheap against watching my beloved Watford FC play soccer (ok everyone has a dark side) and my other passtime scuba diving is in a different money league :evil:

Cheers Nigel

Scopes are often heavy so can be costly to post, equitorial mounts have two 5Kg weights as a rule.

The scope itself is usually a weight and as had been said shippers will not generally insure glass. That lump of glass if a reflector is in a mirror cell that is not intended for secure retention during transport. It is meant to just hold the mirror from moving during observing, not to hold the mirror against deceleration as the scope gets deposited in the rear of a van.

Then comes the area of "It was damaged when it arrived" compared to "It was perfect when I sent it". How often do you not see a scope advertised as "In good condition". Condition is also a personel opinion.

Seeing the item is very useful, when I have picked up bits there is usually an exchange of information and bits of very useful advice passed over. With your first EQ mount (mine was an HEQ5) any information is useful. Even if the question was "How the hell do you pick that up?"

Astronomy can be expensive, depending on how much you dive into it, stick to one reasonable scope and a few well chosen accessories then you do not need to spend a great deal. Slightly like scuba, don't keep buying the next model that come out if what you have does the job.

You are, of course, pulling our leg about Watford FC. Aren't you? :eek: :eek: :eek:

If a scope is dirt cheap on ebay (depends on ones definitions i guess), then i would suspect the views it would offer you might be just as cheap.

If you can get to look through other peoples kit first you can get an idea of which telescopes work for you, and just look out for those types. I suspect £150 is about as low as i think you should go for an entry scope as i don't see many second hand for less than that which fall into my idea of useful.

Good luck.

James

If a scope is dirt cheap on ebay (depends on ones definitions i guess), then i would suspect the views it would offer you might be just as cheap.

If you can get to look through other peoples kit first you can get an idea of which telescopes work for you, and just look out for those types. I suspect £150 is about as low as i think you should go for an entry scope as i don't see many second hand for less than that which fall into my idea of useful.

Good luck.

James

James unfortunately for me no clubs nearby and I don't drive.  But would love to have a look through other people's telescopes.   I guess looking at the quality of photos taken through such scopes gives at least an idea (taking into account exposure times).  And of course input here from those with personal experience.

On cost as you say dirt cheap to one isn't dirt cheap to another, and dirt cheap can mean poor value for money.  And EBay is always a bit of a lottery.  But unless you go in for tons of travelling I do see it as potentially one of the cheapest hobbies (and all the better for that :smiley: ) .  And if you have kids then you can put it down to educational spend.

I have for example blown less than £40 (incl P&P) on a scope to get started (play with).  I know people have used it to see Saturn's rings, Jupiter's moons and craters on the moon.  That would sure be a good start for me. I'm rather hoping James that your £150 entry is a bit over the top but you may well know more than me.

I expect in a few months I'll upgrade to £350 worth of kit (seems a sensible budget to me with options at that level if I'm patient and go secondhand ??).

And if the worst happens :eek: and after a year I say "too cold and too much hassle" I can put it all on Ebay and get say £200 back easily.  So less than £200 for quite a few hours (including time with family and friends) and a very educational experience.  

Or I get grabbed and upgrade again to £2000 of kit and get 5 years of happiness  :cool:    And I still have the kit.  Yes I know you can get addicted and go money crazy but my wife might well put the brakes on that :police: .

Well that's my budget and plan for now but always open to input so it might change.

[i assume stargazing photography is also like diving.  My dive camara is my normal camara and therefore there is a trade off?]

Brown Dwarf many thanks for that.  I can see weight being a problem and I hadn't thought of that.  But hopefully that is a little way off for me.  

And no I'm not joking.  Watford FC was a responsibility (a burden ;)) cast upon me by my parents.  It could be worse!  Couldn't it  :shocked:

Archived