NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The deed is done

Hi all,

Have ordered my Skywatcher Explorer 200P with HEQ5 mount today :D Should be here Wednesday.

But of course it doesn't end there. As you probably know, the HEQ5 comes complete with dual axis motor drive and controller. From many other postings on this site, it's recommended to replace the 12V battery pack with a Maplins 17Ah power tank. A couple of questions I would like answered please if someone has this setup.

a) Is the 12V applied to the hand controller or directly to the mount ?

:rolleyes: What is the size (diameter) and type of plug (centre positive if I understand correctly) used to supply the 12V ?

I have heard mention that the Celestron power tank connector has a habit of falling out of the socket, resorting to Heath Robinson cures of "contact bending", "rubber bands" and other high tech solutions.

c) Approximately what is the current drawn from the 12V supply under maximum load i.e. when both motors are being driven (if they can operate simultaneously).

Sorry if this a bit techie, but want to be armed ready to face Maplins. Shame their 17Ah nuclear reactor is not on offer right now

regards,

Oslo

Well done on ordering your scope - you'll get loads of enjoyment from that setup.

Here's the best I can do for your questions:

1. The 12V plugs into the mount right next to where the hand controller plugs in.

2. I don't know the size of the plug (I haven't measured it) I just bought a car plug from halfords and used the lead and plug from the battery pack the HEQ5 came with and wired up a new lead - really simple to do.

3. No idea sorry - someone else will have to help you with that.

cheers

Sam

I would have thought all the relevant specifications would be in the manual supplied with the mount. Details like motor current draw etc.

As for a suitable power supply, I would simply buy the largest capacity available, because eventually you will add on other things that will place a bigger demand on your supply station. Going that route will save you from having to upgrade at a later time.

Purely my take on it you understand, but you are free to pooh pooh it if you like. :D

Ron. :rolleyes:

Rubbish telescope dont bother !

Only teasing, I am 90% sure I am about to purchase the very same setup this week.

May I ask what store you ordered from and the reasons you chose that model,did you look at any others in that price band ?

Rubbish telescope dont bother !

Only teasing, I am 90% sure I am about to purchase the very same setup this week.

May I ask what store you ordered from and the reasons you chose that model,did you look at any others in that price band ?

Hi Amilo,

As I am new to this game and to this site, I don't know if advertising is allowed by the mods. What I can tell you was that there was very little difference in the price between the 3 or 4 suppliers I checked out. Watch out if delivery charges are included or not and also if a polar 'scope is included. Some suppliers just have the polar 'scope holder in the package. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone offering a discount on Skywatchers. But did use FLO (for a Revelation eyepiece set and laser collimator). Thanks for the discount Steve :D

After much browsing through many postings on this site, I decide on a Newt, mainly for it's simplicity and a 8" was the maximum aperture scope that I considered would be manageable from the point of view of portability.

As I understand it, Celestron and Skywatcher scopes are made by the same company (Synta) so not too much to choose between them in the way of better optics.

There were other considerations, which I will not go into here, but I hope this is of help in a small way. E-mail me if you want, and I will give you my telephone number so we can have a chat about this subject.

The experts may shoot me down in flames for my comments.....c'est la vie !!

By the way there an excellent article about setting up an EQ mount found in the "Primers and Tutorials"

regards,

Oslo

Thanks Oslo that is a very helpful post.

What Newt did you buy ?

I am still contemplating this young lady:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200heq5

Can anyone point me towards other options in my price range ?

My wants are:

Around the 500 squid mark

Observing the planets

Later in the year getting into taking some pics.

Hi again,

Ordered exactly that model of 'scope and mount.........cost £520 with polar scope and delivery included.

I am sure others better qualified than me can point you to other makes/models in your price bracket. It seems to me that compromises have to be made considering what you wish to see with the 'scope, portability, astrophotography or not, and lastly budget limits.

Oslo

Thanks Oslo that is a very helpful post.

What Newt did you buy ?

I am still contemplating this young lady:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200heq5

Can anyone point me towards other options in my price range ?

My wants are:

Around the 500 squid mark

Observing the planets

Later in the year getting into taking some pics.

Another thought,

I believe that you can get a 10% discount on Celestron equipment through FLO, provided you have at least ten postings on SGL. Have a look at "Sponsor Announcements and Offers"

Oslo

Archived