NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can anyone help? Broken Skymax 90

Tonys

I'm struggling to fix my Skymax 90, which I use for viewing the moon. Last time out it wouldn't come to focus on anything and I quickly realised that the focusing knob wasn't turning as many times as it should do lock to lock. I have now dismantled it completely (thanks to Yeti Monster's earlier posts), cleaned and relubed and reassembled but to no avail. The focuser screws in and out all the way when the mirror/focuser assembly is outside the tube but travel is very much limited when I put it back in. I also noticed that at the end of focus knob travel in the clockwise direction the image (viewing without an eyepiece) shifts alarmingly, which I think is saying that the mirror is somehow tilting. The scope wasn't expensive, but I think it performs well optically and now that I've had the courage to take it apart I'd be well pleased if I can get it working again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks James. This morning I tackled it again and found that the connection between the focuser screw/rod and the mirror backplate was a little loose, as you suggested. In the end I reassembled everything outside of the scope tube, adjusting the rod position to ensure free focus knob travel when everything was fastened. Then, rather than disassembling again to fit the mirror through the front of the scope tube I just screwed the whole assembly into the back of the tube. Works great now, except I need to find a new tube o-ring as it broke. Thanks again.

Excellent news :)

I'm not sure my 127 Mak has an O-ring.  In fact I'm sure it doesn't.  It was just a long length of circular section rubber/whatever.  If course that doesn't mean it wasn't broken by an earlier owner, but it didn't look that way when I took the scope apart.

James

Unfortunately I can't recall how I put mine back together whilst keeping it in place :(

Once reassembled you will need to make sure the baffle tube is square and collimate the scope.  Collimation is a bit more of a faff and more time-consuming than with a newt, but as you've had enough patience to take the scope apart and reassemble it I'm sure you'll be ok :)

James

Hopefully job complete! I managed to keep the rubber strip in place and daylight collimation looks okay using the collimator. The focusing action is really smooth now. Thanks all for your help.

Archived