NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any ISON updates?

Paulhenry85

As others have said, hopefully donkeiller is joking - we all know what will happen if this isnt the case so lets please get the thread back on track.

Has anyone heard any news lately? I think it was around about now that observations could start again to see if ISON has indeed fizzled out, which, the last SOHO image I saw (im affraid to say) it certainly looked like :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well......I'm dissapointed now....here I was thinking that too much CO2 was altering the Hubble Constant and causing a rip in the fabric of space and time, and it turns out it only wrecks comets :grin:

Ison turned out to be rather a dissapointment really didn't it......shame, but there will be others.

I think Io should be  exiled from the Solar System, just look at the muck that little devils 100 plus volcanos spits out all over the place.

All that smelly Sulpher, Sodium,  and goodness knows what else.

I personally think ISON was quite awesome.  Most comets come in to the solar system innards, loop around the sun and then loop back out. 

This one came in at absolutely full speed, gunning for the closest survivable perihelion and went down in a spectacular blaze of glory being ripped apart by the sun.  Watching the video as the sun takes a giant bite out of it at 0:17 and then lets rip a massive burp at 0:25.  YUM!

Don't see a sun eat a comet every day do you :)

On Thursday, Comet ISON was approaching the perihelion, the closest point to the Sun on its trajectory. Centuries ago, before the climate began to change, such a moment in the life of a comet would be an important event for the religious societies. However Comet ISON was largely destroyed. The experts are not quite sure about the cause but most of the researchers mention the global warming. The Solar System is being catastrophically heated up by the man-made emissions of CO2, especially by those produced by the corporations in countries with GDP per capita exceeding $20,000, particularly those countries which tolerate a larger number of the climate change deniers, heretics, and other contrarians.

Confused !?!

On Thursday, Comet ISON was approaching the perihelion, the closest point to the Sun on its trajectory. Centuries ago, before the climate began to change, such a moment in the life of a comet would be an important event for the religious societies. However Comet ISON was largely destroyed. The experts are not quite sure about the cause but most of the researchers mention the global warming. The Solar System is being catastrophically heated up by the man-made emissions of CO2, especially by those produced by the corporations in countries with GDP per capita exceeding $20,000, particularly those countries which tolerate a larger number of the climate change deniers, heretics, and other contrarians.

It's nothing to do with CO2, that is just plain silly.

According to Greenpeace, it was fracking (hydraulic fracturing) that was responsible. Something to do with subsonic waves sent into space which altered the comet's orbit and sent it closer to the Sun. Will those greedy oil and gas companies ever learn?

I personally think ISON was quite awesome.  Most comets come in to the solar system innards, loop around the sun and then loop back out. 

This one came in at absolutely full speed, gunning for the closest survivable perihelion and went down in a spectacular blaze of glory being ripped apart by the sun.  Watching the video as the sun takes a giant bite out of it at 0:17 and then lets rip a massive burp at 0:25.  YUM!

If you watch the video from the SOHO C2 camera, I'm pretty sure you can see the moment the comet disintregated. A couple of frames before the comet disappeared behind the occulting disk, the central part of the coma, which was already stretched out, becomes remarkably dimmer.

Wouldn't it be fun to attach a probe with a (very tough) camera to one of these suicide comets in the future before they plunge into the Sun's corona? It would be great to see what happens to the nucleus close up. You could get close up data about the Sun's corona too. I think I'll send a proposal to NASA!

True,but it would have been nice to see something.

Lets hope we will see a great comet someday,although I thought Hale Bopp was quite spectacular,a daylight comet would be something to write home about.

This is on my "before I die" Astronomy wish list as well, along with a Supernova (within the Milky Way), the first human's on Mars and the discovery of life outside the Solar System. Probably the comet is the most likely of those 4 things to actually happen!

Not sure if this has been posted before. It's an animation of the dying embers of ISON departing the sun, captured by the STEREO satellite camera, with the Pleiades in the background. The bright 'star' in the middle below centre is moving relative to the stars, so is presumably one of the planets.

20131130-ison-hi1a-10.gif?PHPSESSID=c56i

Archived