Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

modded dslr or not?

gary1968

Hi again

Sorry, had to cut the previous one short as I had to dash out. I was going to mention that there is obviously a big difference between the amount of data per sub that you download via usb and the size on disk of the corresponding file (other than with dslr's). The above calculation based on resolution and bits/pixel gives a minimum for the size in Mbytes of the sub data that is downloaded via usb i.e. 12Mb/sub for the QHY8L (ignoring data headers etc.). So the data transfer is trivial for usb 2.0. The file size saved to disk will depend on which capture software you use and the file format options you select. I think bitmap (BMP) will give the smallest uncompressed files (correct me if I'm wrong!).  FTS and TIFF are big - but I think maybe are more useful as a stacked output file format for porting between image processing applications. I've only ever used DSS for stacking Canon CR2 files but DSS appears to allow almost any image file format including bmp. Not tried it though. I don't know what file format options are available for stacking with other packages but presumably they will also allow most formats.

If I'm talking rubbish here, I'm sure someone will point it out!

Louise

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived