Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars problem

I have a pair of binoculars (10x50) which i purchased after reading an article on a astronomy website which said a pair of binoculars are ideal if you want to have a quick sky viewing session.

People said they have seen jupiter with 10x50 binoculars and also objects like the orion nebula.

I have tried time and time again and i cannot see anything thorugh mine just empty space.

Am i doing something wrong or have i been mis-informed?.

If you can only see "empty space" are they in focus ?   Maybe try in daylight, turn the focus wheel through the full range of movement.

10 x 50 binos are not a mistake, nor have you been mis-informed, loads to see, although Jupiter will be just a bright point of light with some of the moons as pinpoints alongside.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

The binoculars are made by praktica and came as a kit from scopes and skies.

They are focused and work fine during the day and work great with the moon :)

Will try again when its a clear sky (looks like not tonight sky cloudy again).

Cheers to everyone for their help :)

phill28..............how new is new ! ......they are a genuine brand,  have 10x magnification and 50 mm Objectives,  good enough for astronomy. They focus well during the Day ( its nice and bright during the day) and they focus well on the Moon  ( Moon also very bright) yet  empty space elsewhere? My only suggestion at present is to check the lenses to make sure there is nothing protecting them, such as a thin  plastic ( transit protection ) film over them, that maybe  just enough to filter out the stars for you, as everything else at this moment seems in order but under bright light conditions?  My own 7 x 50`s froze last night ? They were  very stiff  to adjust and focus, and the lenses were misting up , but I was still able to see the stars. 

• 1 month later...

Still had no luck with these binoculars so brought another pair but these ones seem to be bigger where u hold them.

I have seen the pleiades and orion nebula easily with these ones :).

Thanks again to everyone who gave me ideas. :)

Archived