Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blurred Jupiter viewing help much appreciated

maryc

Hi

Had a look at Jupiter this evening. Only started this new hobby last Xmas. I could see Jupiter clearly with the four moons but seems to have three or four mimi jupiters either side sort of blurred circles/lines. How can I clean my lense or telescope.

Any help much appreciated

Hi maryc,

1. do you get the artifact(s) if you use the scope during the day? - Y/N

2. what scope are you using? If you have a Maksutov or SCT you may have dew on the front element.

3. these types of scope do require time to reach the ambient temprature if they have just come out from a 'warm' enviroment. When you finish observing for the night, remove the end cap(s) when you get indoors (assuming they are kept in the house) and let the optics dry out naturally. By the morning they should be clear.

4. if you have either scope and you do not have a dew-shield, then I would advise you to purchase one.

Hope this helps. Other SGL members may or may not agree.

maryc..........as Philip R suggests, a little more information about the telescope your using is required here. I wouldn't  dive into cleaning just yet, as telescopes can be fairly dirty, depending on their type, but still work effectively. You also stated you could see Jupiter clearly, so were trying to ascertain the mini Jupiter bit?

just to add, looking at the time you posted this which was 22.30 you said early in the evening, you need to wait to see jupiter at its best which will be midnight onwards, if its low in the sky you will be looking through a lot of atmosphere so it will shimmer/boil. wait till late on

Sounds like internal reflections (scattered light in the telescope/eyepiece), which you're seeing because the target is very bright. So OK, you're not getting an absolutely perfect view - but you say you could see the planet clearly so I wouldn't worry.

Archived