NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Right angle finder for Celestron Nexstar 127SLT.

Right angled finders are good, once you have the telescope aligned to an object, trying to located using a right angled finder is a nightmare. IMO You will still want your red dot finder to position the scope then you can use the right angled finder to star hop. Hope this helps.

I personally ditched the 'red spot' before even using it. and as said in another post bought an Orion 9 by 50  correct-image right-angle finderscope. it makes spotiing a breeze and the right angle can be moved vertical so I just move my head from the telescope eyepiece to the finderscope easily and visa versa....and I have your scope....DOBs and Newtonians are  different 'fish'  to MAKS... so no, it is a pleasure not a nightmare...

You'll find opinion is divided on the merits of right angled finder v's red dot finders v's straight through finders. Everyone has their own thoughts and what it really boils down to is that it's a totally personal choice as to which one you get on with best. There's also quality to consider - the rdf's that are supplied with scopes are often not so good as a purposely chosen one. So don't be put off by the one you have - you may find a better quality one is easier to use.

But you won't know until you try them out for yourself. A right angled finder is good for relieving awkward viewing positions on straight through type finders - particularly for neck and back pain sufferers. My personal choice is the Orion 9x50 RACI (right angle correct image) which I have on several of my scopes. It's not too expensive and gives a good wide field for finding stuff - Skywatcher do a similar cheaper one, and also a smaller alternative 6x30 model. The Altair 12x60 finder which includes guide rings, illuminated reticle, and eyepiece, is superb but heavy and quite costly.

The William Optics RDF is one of the best I've owned and there are several clones that are cheaper but just as good. It has 3 different reticules including a dot, cross hairs, and a target circle, and the brightness can be varied. It stands up from the scope and is easier to look through at awkward angles.

Consider also Telrads which are superb but a bit large for your scope (and imho ugly lol). There's also the Rigel Quick Finder - which again stands up from the ota, is lighter and smaller than the Telrad, works very well, but also ugly. Hth :)

Archived