NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comets with a DSLR

frugal

I want to have a crack at photographing some of the comets that are currently in the sky. However I do not have a tracking mount, I just have a photograhy tripod and a DSLR.

Do I stand a snowballs chance, or should I just stay in bed tomorrow morning?

At 300mm I am looking at about 1.5 second exposures before everything moves in the frame. At 100mm I would be looking at 4 seconds. Is this remotely enough time to capture the comets?

Although at the moment everytime I check MetCheck the cloud cover for 6am tomorrow goes up another percentage point ;( It has been saying 0% fpr the last 5 days, now it is up tp 3% and climbing, ao it might all be a moot point.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Depends on how bright they are... at the moment Lovejoy and ISON may be a little dim... but definitely worth a try. This was my effort at Panstarrs earlier in the year. Single shot, ISO1600, 1.3 sec exp, 400mm @ f5.6. It can be done!

post-23686-0-77697700-1384789174_thumb.j

Right, the MetCheck astronomical forecast still claims that it is going to be clear pre-dawn tomorrow. I am going to have a crack at it. I am just having a wee dram, then I will pack the car with the camera, tripod, and maybe the telescope so that I can get up at 04:30 and drive over to a local iron age fort that should be high enough to get a good view of the horizon and little light pollution. Regardless of what I catch in the sky, I have to finish at 07:00 so that I can walk back to the car, change into my suit and get on a train for a meeting in London ;)

Well, it looks a bit cloudy out there and the dog is giving me a look that clearly says she things it is far too early to be up, but I am going to give it a go. Wish me luck.

It was very cloudy. There were breaks in the cloud cover, but never in the direction of ISOn and Enke. Even at 06:30 as the sky was brightening and the rest of the sky was clear, there was still a thick bank of clouds over just that one part of the sky.

On the othet hand I got some great shots of the moon surrounded by clouds that I am going to try and HDR, and some cracking sunrises. I will have to see exactly what I got this evening.

To add insult to injury, right near the end as the sky was brightening I could see Spica just above the clouds taunting me. You could almost hear it saying: "if there was a little less clouds the comets would be just below me..."

Hi

A friend of mine got a 20 minute sub of comet lovejoy a few weeks back (Galloway Star Camp), he doesn't visit SGL that much so I'll mind him on to pop his image on here.

He can let you know his settings.

I have a copy but I'll let him post.

Regards

Neil

max exp will depend on lots. Mainly FOV ie focal length. can calc how much it will move given its predicted path and how well u are polar aligned etc but a bit comp! Trial an err is best! but "window of opportunity" may be short :) Upping the ISO is really only to get to a better SNR performance of the camera (the noise doent exactly scale with the gain). Opt for DSLR is usually 800-1600iso but it varies. again as capture time may be limited you may have no choice but to increase iso and just live with the noise.

I have been having a look through the photos I took this morning. I ended up with a bunch of stylish landscapes and sunrises rather than the comets I went out for:

The moon through the tree:

post-32477-0-00269000-1384901051_thumb.j

Sunrise over the valley:

post-32477-0-51164100-1384901193_thumb.j

Although I did not get much stargazing done, at least I was not being rained on like the people over the horizon:

post-32477-0-90046100-1384901291_thumb.j

The cloud over resolutely stayed in the one area that I was hoping to look at. The closest I got to ISON was to see Spica poking up through the clouds:

post-32477-0-64149700-1384901316_thumb.j

Having got up at 04:30 it was nice to see a beautiful sunrise:

post-32477-0-43264100-1384901464_thumb.j

post-32477-0-12387700-1384901469_thumb.j

However when I was going through the photos I used to focus the camera I kept seeing the same plane on the frame... in the same place... oh hang on!... Yup, I was trying to focus the camera on Mercury not a star and I happened to get 2P/ECKNE in the frame... Doh!... The galling thing was that these were my focus frames as I thought it was higher up in the sky, so I did not notice it or I would have taken more frames:

post-32477-0-26958800-1384901877_thumb.p

It isn't a great frame, it isn't even a particularly good frame, however I am chuffed to bit to have taken it.

As Neil said, I took a couple of images of Lovejoy at Galloway recently. I was using a 1200mm FL SW Skyliner 200 on top of an NEQ6 with PHD guiding and imaging with a modded EOS 450D.

It was my first time imaging a comet and I didn't really know what to expect. I did a range of exposures starting at about 5 minutes as I wanted to bring out as much of the tail as I could, but I noticed that the nucleus appeared as a short bright line. The surrounding stars were nice and round, so the guiding was okay. It suddenly struck me that I was seeing the comet moving against the background stars over that short time period. I really didn't expect it to be moving that quickly! Stupid of me really :rolleyes:. Bit of experimenting showed that around 3 minutes exposure at this focal length and ISO800 gave a pleasing result in terms of colour without too much nucleus trailing.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and try a 20 minute sub on the comet. Never guided a single sub that long before so thought it would be a wash out, but I fancied a chat and a dram with the guys along the way so set it going and walked away. The result is below, along with the 3 min for comparison. I was quite pleased (and the guiding seems pretty solid too :smiley:  ).

Tom

Comet Lovejoy 20min

Comet Lovejoy 3min

Archived