NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2nd scope for imaging.

NIGHTBOY

Just having a look a FLO website as I'm thinking of getting a scope that tracks so I can use it for imaging.

Can I have you guys recommendations please.

I was thinking about the skywatcher 130p not the go to but the one that tracks.

Cheers ears.

If you are interested in imaging then THE most important thing is the mount - I know that probably sounds a little odd. The HEQ5 is generally recommended as the starting point, it can track and is sturdy. Couple this with an ED80 refractor and you have the basis for a good imaging rig. The refractor scopes are easy to use, which is a massive bonus. Their focal length is short enough to not tax the HEQ5 and it will happily buzz about all night without dropping a sub.

Have you got the imaging bible 'Making Every Photon Count'? A fantastic book that you can get from the FLO site in the book section - If you've not already done so, read it twice before you even think about spending any money.

be careful on the 130P due to the back-focus issues for cameras. The PDS range seem to be the right ones for imaging. The 150PDS might be a good choice, it's something I'm trying to decide myself  - and see the above comment I got the HEQ5 pro for this purpose of being reasonable as a starting point for imaging. ED80 also gets great results.

Seems to depend also on what you want to image, what field of view you want etc. Tricky, but starting by looking at ED80 and the Skywatcher PDS range on the HEQ5 pro would be a good starting point.

You say second scope, what is your first one, presumably for visual use?

I can't see signatures as i'm on my mobile so not sure what camera you are planning to use, if a dslr you need to make sure you can achieve focus.

Unguided with a tip-top mount and very accurately polar aligned you may be able to get 5 minute subs.

There are lots of threads on here about this sort of thing, search for your scope in re imaging sections and see what other people have achieved / their comments. It's not a walk in the park what ever avenue to you take.

Good luck

James

Just having a look a FLO website as I'm thinking of getting a scope that tracks so I can use it for imaging.

Can I have you guys recommendations please.

I was thinking about the skywatcher 130p not the go to but the one that tracks.

Cheers ears.

Hi Mate,

Sorry to be picky but scopes do not track, mounts do.  You should consider a tracking EQ for your imaging needs, the scope comes way down the list believe it or not.

A.G

Haha yes I was well aware of that. I have a dob scope and they're not the best for imaging so a scope aswell as a tracking mount is what I want info on :)

Dobs for observation and something for imaging. What is your cup of tea? What do you want to image with,  Cooled CCD or a DSLR

?

Thanks ,

A.G

For planets you want to take video footage, on the smallest sensor as possible. Your canon can probably do video but the sensor is massive. If just planetary imaging, then you could use an alt-az mount, or any other rough and ready tracking equatorial mount, it matters not a bit if the planet wanders over the field of view slowly as the stacking software can compensate for this.

James

Ahh sorry should of said, canon 700d.

It will mainly be planets so maybe the dob on a eq5 would be good enough??? It's just that I see you can buy a tracking 130p for less than a eq5 mount.

For Planetary only, you need a scope with a long focal length, a tracking mount ( AltAz will do nicely here ), a webcam or planetary camera ( I have seen some folks do it with a DSLR but it is not ideal ) and an array of software, mostly free, for stacking and developing the data. For wide field DSO you need a tracking EQ mount, a camera ( DSLR will do ) and a fast scope between 400~ 750 mm of focal length. For going deep into the sky the SCTs and massive EQ mounts on permanent piers are popular.

Regards,

A.G

Is the choice 200mm vs 130mm both on an eq5? Apperture wins every time. You need to make sure you can achieve focus with either of them with the dslr, else that could be a potentially expensive modification you'd need to make.

James

I've got the software all sorted now so I guess the question is

Using a dslr (or webcam at later date) would my 200p on a eq5 mount be better than a 130p with tracking abilities?

i would caution against a 200p and an eq5, weight issues will make it difficult .  you also may start on planetary but i am sure DSO's will follow.

Bes t first set up is to get the best mount possible.  Thats means HEQ5 or if you can stretch the NEQ6.  Mount first always, then sort scopes/cameras etc

for what you want to achieve.  Thats is my twopence worth.  By the way i made the error of starting with the EQ5 and 200p :(

Velvet

Archived