NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for advice on telescope

Hi , I am a student from University Science of Malaysia ( University Sains Malaysia ) and I am currently studying chemistry as my major for degree.I am 20 years old. I am very interest to look into the sky after an introduction by the astronomy Prof. I am looking for a telescope that should be handy to a newbie in this. I do not have much budget in this all I can afford is below Ringgit Malaysia RM1000.00 or USD 300.00. I do not have a fix place to observe the sky , because I am staying the hostel in the university and that place is really bright with lamp. I am going to travel to others place to do my observation. I need something that is easy carry by hand as all I have is a bike.

After sometime on searching the internet , all I got is these 2 type of telescope.

1. SK709EQ1
This is one of the best telescope for those starting out in astronomy. 
It comes complete with two standard size (1.25") eyepieces for both low and high magnification. It is fitted with an equatorial mount for superior stability at high power as well as providing the capability to track object, either manually or automatically with additional motor.

Features:
- 70mm Multi-coated objective lens
- Aluminum tube
- Dew cap/Sunshade
- Equatorial mount with pre-Assembled Tripod
- 36% more light gathering power than 60mm
- Long focal length allows high magnification

2. SK707AZ2
With this scope, you can see craters on the Moon, ring of Saturn and much more. NO KIDDING!!! 

- Diameter/Aperture: 700mm 
- Focal Length: 700mm
- Multi-coated achromatic objective lens
- Aluminum tube
- Dew cap/Sunshade
- 6x24 finderscope
- 36% greater light gathering capacity than
  traditional beginner 60mm scope
- Smooth rack-and-pinion 1.25" focuser
- Wall-to-wall accessory tray
- Pre-assembled tripod for convenient and quick assembly.
- Good resolution of the Moon and planets
- Highly affordable, perfect for beginners
- Sturdy but light weight, easy to transport

After study about the post on 
What Can I Expect to See?
I understand that a basic telescope will not give a that kind of spectaculous picture. Please give me some advice on choosing the telescope. If you have any suggestion on others telescope that suit me , please do tell me so. 

By a poor scientist =)

Hi A small Maksutov  cassegrain might be the answer maybe this if you want planets and the moon

Not sure If FLO on here export

Hi , A small Maksutov will work better than the above 2 telescope ? 

This is a very good telescope and I think it would give much better views than the two you've listed. The mounts (tripods) on the telescopes you mention will be quite wobbly where this one is very solid. it will fit in a box about 18" (450mm) square when folded up. you can then use this box up side down to sit the scope on for viewing.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I hope this helps you Deep.

as you can see, everyone will have different ideas of what is best :).

Transporting a scope on a bike is not going to be easy, scope

and mount, eyepieces, charts and all the extras will be very

bulky, have you thought about binoculars, a pair of 15x70s

used at a dark site can be very useful, and you will learn the

night sky, and observe a great deal with them, try this link

http://binocularsky.com/ it will give you an idea of what you

can do and see with a pair of bins.

This is a very good telescope and I think it would give much better views than the two you've listed. The mounts (tripods) on the telescopes you mention will be quite wobbly where this one is very solid. it will fit in a box about 18" (450mm) square when folded up. you can then use this box up side down to sit the scope on for viewing.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I hope this helps you Deep.

as you can see, everyone will have different ideas of what is best :).

Hi auspon , this is really a good suggestion for me ! thank you so much ! But I do have a question , is that flextube is going to put on the floor ? and we sit on the box of the flextube to observe ? 

Thanks for the advice. I am studying on it now ! 

Hi auspon , this is really a good suggestion for me ! thank you so much ! But I do have a question , is that flextube is going to put on the floor ? and we sit on the box of the flextube to observe ? 

It really doesn't matter how you decide to use it, I have one and I tend to put it on a picnic table although that would be too much to carry on a bike. I think if you sat on the floor with the flexitube on the box it would place the eyepiece at a very comfortable position.

really? :)

post-20406-0-76005800-1384672975_thumb.j

Hi , I am a student from University Science of Malaysia ( University Sains Malaysia ) and I am currently studying chemistry as my major for degree.I am 20 years old. I am very interest to look into the sky after an introduction by the astronomy Prof. I am looking for a telescope that should be handy to a newbie in this. I do not have much budget in this all I can afford is below Ringgit Malaysia RM1000.00 or USD 300.00. I do not have a fix place to observe the sky , because I am staying the hostel in the university and that place is really bright with lamp. I am going to travel to others place to do my observation. I need something that is easy carry by hand as all I have is a bike.

After sometime on searching the internet , all I got is these 2 type of telescope.

1. SK709EQ1This is one of the best telescope for those starting out in astronomy. It comes complete with two standard size (1.25") eyepieces for both low and high magnification. It is fitted with an equatorial mount for superior stability at high power as well as providing the capability to track object, either manually or automatically with additional motor.

Features:

- 70mm Multi-coated objective lens

- Aluminum tube

- Dew cap/Sunshade

- Equatorial mount with pre-Assembled Tripod

- 36% more light gathering power than 60mm

- Long focal length allows high magnification

2. SK707AZ2

With this scope, you can see craters on the Moon, ring of Saturn and much more. NO KIDDING!!! 

- Diameter/Aperture: 700mm 

- Focal Length: 700mm

- Multi-coated achromatic objective lens

- Aluminum tube

- Dew cap/Sunshade

- 6x24 finderscope

- 36% greater light gathering capacity than

traditional beginner 60mm scope

- Smooth rack-and-pinion 1.25" focuser

- Wall-to-wall accessory tray

- Pre-assembled tripod for convenient and quick assembly.

- Good resolution of the Moon and planets

- Highly affordable, perfect for beginners

- Sturdy but light weight, easy to transport

After study about the post on What Can I Expect to See?

I understand that a basic telescope will not give a that kind of spectaculous picture. Please give me some advice on choosing the telescope. If you have any suggestion on others telescope that suit me , please do tell me so. 

By a poor scientist =)

Whatever you buy I would recommend the lighter and less complicated Alt Az mount rather than the EQ mount , especially for portability / ease of set up / use !!

Try a pair of binoculars first? Cheaper than a full scope, certainly more transportable and will probably give better views than a cheap scope on a wobbly tripod?

You will still want to buy a good set of binos, at least 10x50, Fully Multi Coated, Bak4 glass or else you won't get full performance, which is what you want !

Archived