Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A part of the moon

Jannis

Finally i'm starting to get my lunar images as sharp and detailed as i've been hoping for. :)

Used the QHY5L-IIM with IR-pass filter on the explorer 200PDS with a cheap 2x skywatcher barlow.

6ms shutter, 100 gain in firecapture. Recorded 3484 frames and stacked in AVIstack. processed and sharpend in PS.

I wonder if maybe i sharpend a thiny bit too much though?

What's the name of this area of the moon, btw?

post-9520-0-88427600-1384461400_thumb.pn

Excellent image Jannis, nice focus and nicely processed.   The IR-PASS definitely helps reducing the effects of poor seeing.    I would say spot on with the sharpening/wavelets, but it's a very subjective judgement and one of those things you have to settle according to your own taste.

Looking forward to see your whole disk mosaic at this f/l ;)

Thanks for the info on the names, i haven't really learned any of them yet. I only knew "the moon", and that's it, haha. :D

A slightly higher res pic is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljdnjbxjrc8kom2/moon-close-up-akam-sgl-print.png

Paul, for the exact same reason, i was struggeling to find the same spot on a full moon to show people where it's a close-up on. On the full moon it was so bright i just though, no way it can be anywhere around there, but it was. That huuuge, insanely bright crater, is the crater in the center of my pic. Doesn't seem almost any brighter at all in this pic. Wonder why though?

Thank you Jake. :)

Actually, i did take the whole moon at this f/l yesterday, but i missed on one small spot. Otherwise it would have been 100% complete.

I'll see if i maybe can somehow "fix" it though, but i dubt it tbh . :(

Thank you Jake. :)

Actually, i did take the whole moon at this f/l yesterday, but i missed on one small spot. Otherwise it would have been 100% complete.

I'll see if i maybe can somehow "fix" it though, but i dubt it tbh . :(

Frustrating when that happens and think we've all probably done this.     If you're using EQAscom/EQMod, there's a utillity called EQMosaic that can help with moving the mount for each panel.   Once setup with the camera details, focal length,  desired overlap and the camera is correctly orientated this works really well.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. :)

Usually i haven't had problems with this before. But i've usually never used the 2x barlow before. With the barlow, the slack in my gears are big enough to cause problems with the framing. I guess i should take mount apart and realign all the gears again - as if i'm having problems now, with a 2x, i can just forget about getting a 3x or even 5x

Well done, it's a lovely feeling when you feel you are getting somewhere with stacking video frames :smiley:

Nice and sharp, not over-sharpened to my eyes but I think sharpness is a personal taste thing. I find it very hard to judge the sharpness while editing, it's only when seeing the image fresh in a day or two I can know if for me I have oversharpened it. It's amazing how different an image can look when you see it fresh! I definitely overcooked a few for my taste :grin:  All part of the fun!

Very true. I've often worked hard on a pic untill i was satisfied, only to look at it a few days later and just think "what the heck was i thinking here?! It's ruined...!" :p

I want to get even highter resolution though, but i don't know if i'll gain any resolution by buying for example a TV 3x barlow, or if i might as well stay with what i have.

Don't know how to determine if it's an optical limitation due to the cheap barlow, or seeing conditions.

I want to get even highter resolution though, but i don't know if i'll gain any resolution by buying for example a TV 3x barlow, or if i might as well stay with what i have.

Don't know how to determine if it's an optical limitation due to the cheap barlow, or seeing conditions.

I find the Revelation ED Barlows offer a very good cost/performance balance.    I rarely use the 5x, but more commonly the x2.5 and extension tubes to give higher magnification / focal length.     For lunar and planetary I use barlow, fw, extension tube and camera (the QHY5-II's form is ideally suited for fine tuning the extension).    Roughly speaking 25mm gives an xtra x0.75 to the barlow power - though firecapture can give you useful ephemeris to confirm focal length.

I've also used the Baader x2.25 zoom barlow, which I find gives a higher mag than the Revelation x2.5 - but no issue with either for image quality.

Archived