NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lowest magnification / widest field eyepiece

enigma

What would you recommend as the lowest magnification / widest field eyepiece for an 80mm f/5 short tube achromatic refractor using an 1.25" focuser? A Baader Hyperion 24mm, a Sky-Watcher 32mm Plossl or something different? The refractor is on a lightweight photo head/tripod and used for grab and go short observing sessions.

Either of the two eyepieces you list will show as much sky as the 1.25" eyepiece format can. The Hyperion does so at a higher magnification which helps to darken the background sky a bit but expect star images to show some distortion towards the outer parts of the field of view because the Hyperion is not that well corrected in F/5 scopes. 

I tried the Baader Hyperion 24mm once and I did not find it very comfortable to use. But I am willing to give it a second try and for this I might look for a used one first. I don't think that I heard of a Maxvision 24mm before, but weight is for sure an issue to consider.

Something for you to consider is the magnification.  If you use a 32mm eyepiece your magnification is only 13x.  Using a 24mm eyepiece gets you just a few more at 17x.  So if you are looking for the 80mm scope to be weak in magnification like a binocular, then this of course just fine.  If not, then you need a shorter focal length eyepiece.  The lowest I generally like to go is 25x, actually prefer 40x.  But at least at 25x I can still see some details on Jupiter and Saturn, albeit small.  In your scope a 16mm eyepiece would produce 25x.  Something like the 16mm 82 degree AFOV Skywatcher Nirvana UWA would give you 25x with a 3.28 degree TOFV, which is quite nice and large.  So a large TFOV and still some productive magnification.  This eyepiece would also give you a nice exit pupil (3.2mm) so the background sky should look pretty dark even from a light polluted site.

Archived