Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron red dot finder

What can I say! I thought people who said this was Rubbish hadn't given it a fair crack of the whip. So, I tried aligning the scope and the dot finder with the moon this afternoon. Sorry folks,you're right, it really is rubbish! Let's face it the moon is quite a bit more than 200 kilometers but still the findr couldn't centre it!

Enough then, I'm awaiting delivery of a Telrad ........

Kidbriar........Hi I believe the Telrad sight matches the reticule in stellarium, so may aid in  searches. I quite like the basic 9x50 finder on my 200P, but I do like the idea of a Telrad. I`m sure the telrad could fit a few tools inside including the battery!  from what Ive seen.?

I have a Celestron red dot finder also. Although it took me awhile to get the hang of it, it works pretty well. What I do is go out in the daylight and hang a pistol target on my garage. I go out about 200 feet and set up my scope. Center the target in the main scope first so it is right on. then adjust your finder to line up. Mine was way off but now I can find objects pretty well. I also figured out you have to keep both eyes open when you look at a target for it to work. I get better at it each night. I have only been doing this for a month now.

A telrad will be better though from what I hear!

I'm not sure what to make of my red dot yet. Was out tonight for bit to get more familiar with my scope. Used the moon to align the red dot. Swung away and back a few times to check the alignment and it lined up well. Changed over to view a nearby star and it centered right up. But a few minutes later when I went back to the moon, it was off.

"But a few minutes later when I went back to the moon, it was off"

If you use the moon then line up on a small crater (the smaller the better) - but you need to get the crater dead center of the eyepiece then line the red dot on the same crater. It's a spot harder to do with a non tracking manual dob cos everything is moving and if you linger with the red dot more than a few seconds it won't be central to the eyepiece any more.

If you use a star then choose a higher power eyepiece than the highest power you intend to use in a session. Eg if you normally use a 15mm ep (or longer) - then line up the red dot using a 10mm ep for greater accuracy.

Of course - aligning the finder in daylight on a stationary object in the distance is the best idea - use a pylon tip or church spire at least a mile away for best results - but ensure the finder isn't touched before darkness falls. Hth :)

Archived