NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Registax nightmare.

NIGHTBOY

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very occasionally you might need to tweak it due to temperature changes but generally once it's nailed I leave it well alone .

You can waste a lot of time " chasing the seeing "  , thinking that the focus is off when in fact it's the atmosphere making things appear to be off , when you think you've got focus just leave it alone and monitor the Liveview for a minute or so , if you see those moments of clarity coming and going you have focus and just have to trust to luck as to how many frames you can catch when the target is sitting still. 

Hence why most Planetary / Lunar / Solar imaging is done with high frame rate cameras .... 

I use a USB controlled motor focuser on my scopes which makes that tweaking very easy compared to manually touching the focuser , turns a 10:1 into a 100:1 give or take ...  :grin:

I had to adjust it today , first time it's moved for three sessions , and that was only because I knocked the focuser whilst climbing up the ladder to put the scope on the mount atop the 14' pier I use in the winter ....  :p

I've done it! I've finally done it!!!! Had to output it as AVI ULRG. What a flaming nightmare!

RegiStax requires the codec you want to use to be installed before it can open AVI files using that codec.  I am guessing you accepted the option to install the Ut Video codec when you installed PIPP, this would be why RegiStax can handle AVI files with the ULRG codec.

But it seems you do not have the codec for simple raw AVI files on your machine.  I had a laptop that was missing the raw codec and RegiStax could not open raw AVI files in the same way yours cannot open them.  I fixed this by installing the K-Lite Codec Pack (Basic version).  If you install this codec pack be careful to answer 'no' if it offers to install browser tool bars or trial virus scanners.  This codec pack is often packaged up with crapware for some reason.

Cheers,

Chris

Not to worry you can still get some good images ,you can still get on it there's plenty of practice time just centre every time and you should be good to go ,I did it your way ,a tiny and a mean a tiny bit of blue tack ( I assume you have live view ?) in the centre of your cameras LCD screen line the blue tack up on a crater and take a image ,take another then re centre the blue tack on the same crater ,from what a see with ya stack above it's because they to far part and it's ghosting in the image try the tiny blob of blue tack like this's rust me it works download registax 5 and give that a try

Patpost-9980-0-73751900-1384441313_thumb.jp

Pat download pipp planetary. There a link to a video on ou tube on this thread about how to crop all your images so they are dead centre if every frame so as long as the moon is whole in the view finder then it's ok as it centres it for you. I'm going to video he moon tonight and hook my camera upto my PC monitor via hdmi. Should be able to maintain decent focus. Will keep you posted!!!

I use pip but not for that my c gem is on a pier and drift align it tracks like a dream ,but I do use pip for preprocessing ,Avis of which I will be doing soon as it's dark,I look forward to you work later get some screen grabs it would make a good post good luck

Pat

I'm currently prosessing 2000 frames I just took of the moon, i'll use Registax 6 and use lots of alignment points. I have everything crossed. I was out in the back garden with my camera connected to my pc monitor via hdmi so I could set the focus as good as I could get it.

Sorry make that 500. I did take 4 videos one after the other and I was hoping that inporting them all into pip and prosessing that it would link them all together. I can make them all into one video clip with my editing software so might try that later.

Yes practice ,when you think you have focus shoot a vid then rack out slightly shoot another vid ,get focus again the rack in and see which gives you the best result

Try zooming in if your camera will allow to get a better focus

Tonight I will shoot around 30/40 gb of video and some of them will be the ones a want ,if your like me I always think every ones else's images are better and they usually not the better you get the more critical you will get oh out and get more am waiting for the bit of cloud to clear

Pat

Yes I'm using a 700d so will try the video next time. What does the video file need converting into to be able to load into registax?

I also have a video camera that films in 1920 1080 50fps so might give digiscoping a go with that.

Are you just using a lens on the camera, or are you attaching your camera to a telescope?

If I use a 300mm lens, the moon takes up about 1/6 of the image (about 800 of 5200 pixels across). If I try to take video at full HD that will make the moon only 250-300 pixels wide ;(

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Are you just using a lens on the camera, or are you attaching your camera to a telescope?

If I use a 300mm lens, the moon takes up about 1/6 of the image (about 800 of 5200 pixels across). If I try to take video at full HD that will make the moon only 250-300 pixels wide ;(

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Frugal, I'm attaching my 700D to my 200p. :)

Yes practice ,when you think you have focus shoot a vid then rack out slightly shoot another vid ,get focus again the rack in and see which gives you the best result

Try zooming in if your camera will allow to get a better focus

Tonight I will shoot around 30/40 gb of video and some of them will be the ones a want ,if your like me I always think every ones else's images are better and they usually not the better you get the more critical you will get oh out and get more am waiting for the bit of cloud to clear

Pat

Yes I follow pat. I find that when looking at the screen you can still get adjustment when everything looks in focus, if you follow me...

Archived