Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new bins

rockettsue

One thought, rockettsue: At the risk of appearing sexist, many women find an 8x40 or 8x42 much easier to use than a 10x50. If you can "try before you buy" and see if you can hold a 10x50 steadily enough.

@Damo, thanks for the recommendation :-)

One thought, rockettsue: At the risk of appearing sexist, many women find an 8x40 or 8x42 much easier to use than a 10x50. If you can "try before you buy" and see if you can hold a 10x50 steadily enough.

@Damo, thanks for the recommendation :-)

Not sexism good advice a few men have problems with 10 x 50 I find bins much easier to get along with since I switched to 8 x 42. not as bright but I can keep them steadier for longer

Hiya,

I have a pair of Praktica Diana 8x56. :smiley:  They cost about £30 and are very good, they also have BAK4 prisms.

The 8x56 magnification helps with the effect of shaking hands and are a lot easier to control.

Excellent views of the ISS & the Orion nebula :smiley:

Hiya,

I have a pair of Praktica Diana 8x56. :smiley:  They cost about £30 and are very good, they also have BAK4 prisms.

The 8x56 magnification helps with the effect of shaking hands and are a lot easier to control.

Excellent views of the ISS & the Orion nebula :smiley:

But with an exit pupil of 7mm it is unlikely that these will be any brighter than 8x42. Will they be as bright, even? Bino experts needed.

I greatly prefer 8x myself and feel that the greater steadiness restores detail lost by the drop in magnification. In the birding world 8x42 is the most popular choice and those folks really know their bins.

Olly

My advice is to try lots of pairs. Binoculars are very personal things. Find a friendly shop or astro club. You'll know the pair for you when you hold them.

I found good quality 8x42's won out over the standard 10x50's I bought first, despite the internet wisdom.

I found l love binocular astronomy, so I've skipped the 10x50 size and gone with one pair of high quality 8x42's and one pair of high quality 15x70's on a tripod for the deeper sky stuff.

Whatever way you go, enjoy your lovely Spanish skies.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the advice.  I have finally bought 10 x 50 - despite warnings!, just because on reading in different places they were the ones mostly recommended. I am now able to get up there on our terrace and begin!

Archived