NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Registax.

NIGHTBOY

Could someone give me a quick talk thorugh on Registax using photos not video please.

An I correct in thinking if you have a blurred image from a too long shutter speed, registax can sort it out???

I've been playing with it for the last hour so I'm kind of familiar with it. Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a link to the Registax site tutorial http://www.astronomie.be/registax/ .

Registax cannot "deblur" an image. Registax works by selecting the best frames from an AVi file or still frames and stacking them to improve the signal / noise ratio. Any frames that fall below a set standard for sharpness / image quality are discarded during the alignment process.

Do you mean Sun or Moon photos using a camera?  If so follow this sun tutorial as it works for the Moon as well:  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/  If you mean DSO pictures then you need Deep Sky Stacker.  Unfortunately Registax cannot (nor can any other software) produce a good image from a blurred or out of focus one.

Click "set alignpoints" and move the alignpoint slider to get a sensible number of AP's - maybe 10-20?  Then when it is done click limit and then stack.  You may get some "crazy Paving" effects with Registax6, if so, download registax 5 and use that - it is far easier to use and less prone to problems.

Nightboy, registax is a great bit of software, it just takes time to work out how to use it effectively, and it will only work well with good data. It's like getting used to new equipment, it just takes time and effort, but will be worth it.

James

I'm not sure what scope and mount you have, but that technique can work.

It sounds like it is having issues trying to align all the frames well. Check the all of the moon appears on all of your images, it may struggle to align them all if some data is missing on one or more frames.

James

I'm not sure what scope and mount you have, but that technique can work.

It sounds like it is having issues trying to align all the frames well. Check the all of the moon appears on all of your images, it may struggle to align them all if some data is missing on one or more frames.

James

Yes the whole of the moon is in every shot.

OK - you don't have well aligned images to start with - no problem!  Download a piece of software called PIPP.   https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/  and load all your images into it.  It will centre and crop them for you to produce a stack that Registax will find easier to deal with.  There are good instructions on the site.  I know its another learning curve to climb but it will be worth it in the end.

Right. You say you have 50 shots? Select the best 10 which have the sharpest foxus and which place the moon roughly in the same place, nearest the centre of the field of view, and try and stack just those 10. See what happens.

James

If you've not got too many frames try ticking the "Manual Align" box on the left hand side , choose a small but very prominent small crater to align on .

Now click the big "Align" box and "Zoom" to get a closer view in the window shown , as each frame is displayed put the marker on that crater as accurately as you can , pretty easy if you pick a nice bright feature.

Archived