Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen LV's

Joves

Hi all,

Just picked up a set of used, but in brilliant condition, Vixen LV EP's. I have had the 2.5mm for a number of years now and, whilst I haven't really had a scope that could best utilise this FL eyepiece (don't ask, I bought it without really doing the sums) it has been a nice little one to have in the kit. Now it is happily sitting with its 4mm, 5mm, 12mm, 20mm and 25mm siblings :)

The Vixen LV was just being launched when I started out in the hobby about 30 years back. They were referred to as the Vixen Lanthanum back then but I assume the design is broadly the same now - 45 degree FoV and 20mm eye relief with Lanthanum glass used for some of the elements ?.

In all that time I've never actually used one - I guess I got the wide field bug early on so the LV FoV didn't appeal. I have used the Vixen LVW's and found those very good indeed but they are a different design again with their 65 degree AFoV.

The Vixen LV was just being launched when I started out in the hobby about 30 years back. They were referred to as the Vixen Lanthanum back then but I assume the design is broadly the same now - 45 degree FoV and 20mm eye relief with Lanthanum glass used for some of the elements ?.

In all that time I've never actually used one - I guess I got the wide field bug early on so the LV FoV didn't appeal. I have used the Vixen LVW's and found those very good indeed but they are a different design again with their 65 degree AFoV.

John, when you get a chance you can try some of mine if you'd like :)

Agreed the LVs are underated.  

When they came out, they seemed so wonderful compared with the eyepieces I had, where I almost needed to attach my eyeball to them if I wanted to see anything  :sad:

I couldn't wait to get some LVs with the 20mm eyerelief, even though they seemed expensive at the time.

Still worth having, they work well even with 'fast' scopes, only downside is the relatively narrow view.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for the offer Jonathan. Maybe I'll be able to take you up on it one day :smiley:

Would I be right in thinking that the Vixen NLV's are the latest incarnation of the LV's ?:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-nlv-eyepieces.html

I'm sure that the NLVs are optically the same as the LVs.  The NLV twist up eyeguard is better than the fixed eyecup on the originals that had to be rolled down for eyeglass wearers.

I now use my LVs for solar observing, I can 'bury' my eye in the long eyecup to exclude surrounding light.

Regards, Ed.

I'm sure that the NLVs are optically the same as the LVs.  The NLV twist up eyeguard is better than the fixed eyecup on the originals that had to be rolled down for eyeglass wearers.

I now use my LVs for solar observing, I can 'bury' my eye in the long eyecup to exclude surrounding light.

Regards, Ed.

That's the advice I got from FLO. The NLVs merely have an updated body - the new SLV eyepieces that Vixen are releasing have different bodies too, perhaps a slight update to coatings too.

Thanks for the offer Jonathan. Maybe I'll be able to take you up on it one day :smiley:

Would be good :). Perhaps I could try some of your 100 degree eyepieces? That is, if I don't have an Ethos by then ;).

Archived