NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EP's for ED80 - Maxivision, Hyperion or Delos?

Ness

I have a SW Evostar ED80 (FL 600, f/7.5). So far the only eye piece I have is the stock 2" 28mm LES that it came with. I'd like to invest in another 2 or 3 EP's so I can have a full range of viewing. What focal length EP's would you recommend for DSO and to get the best planetary views possible with this scope?

So far I'm considering:

Maxivision 68° Okular 16mm or Maxivision 82° 18mm. There are no higher power's available. I'm a bit concerned eye relief on these, but it looks like best EP for the money.

Baader-Hyperion - the more budget friendly choice! 8, 10, 13 and/or 17mm (all 68°)

or Delos - 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14 (all 72°). Expensive but worth it?

The scope was just under £500 so although I don't want to waste my money on a cheaper EP, I am struggling to justify £250 on a Delos if a cheaper one will be equivalent on my scope as it is only f/7.5. But if there is a major difference I'd prefer to save up for one.

I plan to invest in another scope for planetary viewing and AP in time (perhaps Celestron C9.25 XLT), and it would be helpful if the EP's were interchangeable.

I like the fact that the Baader-Hyperion EP's are suitable for Afocal AP. Are all EP's suitable for AP with appropriate adapters? Not a deal breaker, I am currently doing AP with the scope directly.

Would you recommend 1.25" or 2" or doesn't it matter?!

Which combination focal lengths would you recommend?! Thanks for your help and advice!

There is a really good thread by Warthog pinned to the 'Getting Started, Help and Advice' section. This gives great advice on what focal lengths to go for for any given telescope.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

Thanks Stevepeverall. I saw the post yesterday, but at 15 pages it took a while to get through! An incredibly helpful post.

I used Hyperions 8mm and 5mm with my late 80ED...it was a match made in heaven. Absolutely perfect. recommended.

Excellent, thanks Emadmoussa :-) Did you ever use these with the fine tuning rings? or Barlow? I like how these seem to be so easy to adapt for photography. Is this something you did? If so, did you ever use Hyperion T-Ring with built in Infrared blocking filter? Sorry for all the questions!

Today I ordered the 16mm and 24mm 68° Maxivison. Assuming (hoping) they are the same as the Meade 5000 SWA they have been reviewed extremely well. I am still looking at the Hyperions 5, 8 and/ or 10mm for high power and medium-high power as the Delos and other high end TV EP's are out of reach for now. In the meantime, I will look at getting a 2x Barlow to maximise what I have. Thanks for your help and replies!

I have one Delos, the 10mm, it is really superb in my f5 200P newt, but yep, quite expensive to be honest!

For a f7.5 scope you don't really have to go for the Delos, just yet.. :evil:, you'll be more than fine with BSTs, or Celestron X-Cel-LXs and the very well priced Maxvisions - get them while you can, they are real bargains at the moment!!! See here for where to buy them from:

http://www.explorescientific.de/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=0&keywords=maxvision&osCsid=kos4aohjeaf3n49gq5min92257&x=7&y=6

I use all of the above in my f5 and they are all very good eyepieces, but as you will find out you will discover your own favorites over time!

Oh, the Baader Zoom is rather good too!

Have fun choosing!

Doc

Thanks everyone for your comments. They're really helpful.

Wxsatuser - how did you find imaging on your 600d? I love the idea of your 60Da but I already have a 450d so will make use of that for a while. I can see why this can become an expensive hobby!

Pig & Space Beagle - It is the 10mm Delos that I'm pondering! I have just purchased the 16mm & 24mm Maxvision as they looked too good to pass up. Unfortunately they don't seem to have any higher magnification than 16mm available. I'm hoping to get a 2x Barlow lens to make the 16mm an 8mm for the next few months until deciding on the Delos. Do they ever come on special?!! I will look at the BSTs, Celestron X-Cel-LXs and Baader zooms too :-)

I'm yet to research the best Barlow to get but if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks again,

Ness

I think the widescreen centre still has Deloi for £256 :smiley:

The Maxi are a very good eyepiece I had the 34mm X 68 degree, I also had a set of X-CELS from the 5mm upward and found them to be great :smiley:

I then got hit with the Televue bug and have never looked back :shocked:

Archived