NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows 8 and astro software

baggywrinkle

I am on a trip to Abu Dhabi and yesterday I bit the bullet and decided to replace my 5 year old and increasingly clunky old HP with a newer small edition that will be more portable.

However it runs Win8 and apart from getting used to yet another operationg system I am curious to know if any here have run Win8 with apps like Stellarium etc.

Often in my experiance MS use us as guineapigs to test their software......

I, too, have just bought a Win 8 machine. So far it has been fine with both Stellarium and C de C performing much better than on my previous (Win 7) machine, probably because of better graphics card. Eqascom downloaded fine and I have used EQMOD to control the mount successfully, but that was after a bit of a faff getting the correct driver for my Hitecastro USB/SER interface.

So far so good. I follwed some other advice on here and installed Classic Shell...It returns the Win 7 "feel" with a start button etc.

Steve

I may have to pick your brains on what you uploaded for W8. I have a terrible feeling my old XP obs computer is on the way out and I am frankly dreading having to put everything onto a new PC. Coupled with the fact that I had a sneak preview of W8 on my Dad's laptop. Oh my God, what a mess!! Couldn't find anything.

I may have to pick your brains on what you uploaded for W8. I have a terrible feeling my old XP obs computer is on the way out and I am frankly dreading having to put everything onto a new PC. Coupled with the fact that I had a sneak preview of W8 on my Dad's laptop. Oh my God, what a mess!! Couldn't find anything.

The Transfer Wizard works pretty well for moving stuff. It automates an awful lot of stuff.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Win 8 is fine, and a heck of a lot more stable than XP. Way faster too. Just think of the tile interface as a Start menu with icons instead of writing. And if you can't find a program, then just go to the tile interface and start typing the program name. Way faster than scrolling through a huge Start menu.

XP is ancient. It was launched 12 years ago and it stopped being available for new release nearly 4 years ago.

Thanks Zakalwe for that Windows Easy Transfer tip. 

Windows 8 is faster & more stable than Windows 7, (and Windows 7 has a lot of updates to do after installation mine took 30 hours to install 174 updates).

Windows 8 is worth the extra cash.  V8.1 even better, have been running it for a few months now.

Only older hardware would need an older version of Windows.

A week on the learning curve and I have to say there are some very good new features to Win 8 but being a technopeasant I am still unconvinced on some stuff. It takes some getting used to.

My company now runs Win 7 on the work PC, Mrs Baggy has an Apple, so running Mac OS, my old HP was on Vista....so learning 4 operating systems.....

Archived