NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

D.I.Y. Dew Shields

Mav359

Hi guys

I was looking at the DewBusters website and the process of making the Dew Bands, looks good & with my awesome new soldering skills i am now wondering whats next?

Anyone had a go at this, are you happy with them etc etc?

Also if you have

he says to use 300 OHM resistors not the 300K/M, the searches i get back tend to be 300R, are these the same as 300?  i was looking at these......

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/product/131996/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK|Shopping-_-Google+PLA-_-TE+Connectivity|Through+Hole+Fixed+Resistors-_-131996&kpid=&istCompanyId=f7e7b05b-2daf-4c0e-8825-3633baf8113b&istItemId=xwiwqrxwp&istBid=tzit&gclid=CO2L8Zn41LoCFfMdtAod7mYASg

I can integrate these into my new dew shield at both ends and there's the potential for the finderscope & even the telrad :grin: I could soon be in a dew free environment, no more hairdryers  :grin:  :grin:

Cheers

To be quite honest, instead of buying the resistors separately it is better to buy them as a pack etc various resistor values over the long run if you are getting more into electronics.

etc http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/E3-Series-480-piece-carbon-film-resistor-kit-74263

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/E12-Series-610-piece-carbon-film-resistor-kit-74262

I salvage all my parts from broken electrical objects, right down to the components.

-Rob

"R" is often used to represent ohms where the omega character is a problem.  So yes,  300R means 300 ohms.  Also, to avoid confusion the decimal point is often replaced by "R" or "K" (kilohms) so 4.7 ohms becomes 4R7 (much clearer) and 4.7 kilohms, 4K7.

I made all my dew heaters from nichrome wire which is available in various sizes.  It's difficult to get as insulated wire so I use small heat shrink tubing with the wire threaded through (tricky/fun job :D).  This will stand the heat generated in the wire.

@Lee: My awesome new soldering skills aren't quite that awesome (yet) :grin:  besides i already have an astrozap dew controller with four outputs on it & a  bought strap.

I use one of the channels to power my LED feet on the tripod so that leaves me 3 channels. Initially of the top of my head i'm thinking of integrating a dew band at the top and bottom of the dew shield, one for the finder scope and one for the Telrad which is 4 straps in total hence the channel splitter question.

@Gina: The nichrome wire seems to be measured in SWG rather then AWG, same thing or not?

Cheers Guys

Cheers, its still standing and does the job although i think i'm out growing it to be honest :grin:

If i used less resistors at a greater distance apart would that pick up the drop in current (or is it the other way around, more resistors closer together)

Cheers

the distance between resistors is only for heat dissipation.

You’re testing my ohm’s law, lol

Resistance (ohms) = Volts (v) / current (I)

or V=I x R

or I = V/R

Your voltage is fixed as is the currant you want to draw from your controller.

Archived