SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uranus continuum!

• 2 weeks later...

This is excellent, Gasman.  What are you using for a grating?

I recently came up with a low resolution spectra of Uranus and Neptune.  I knew that they would be similiar, but was almost disappointed that they were essentially identical.

Uranus-Neptune_comparison_2013_ferreira_

Cheers

Jim Ferreira

Livermore CA

Question from a newbie. But I am a bit geeky when it comes to comparing data sets (risk analyst in normal life).

What can we deduce from these profiles?

I am guessing that we can deduce that the two lanets have very similar upper atmosphere???

Paul

Question from a newbie. But I am a bit geeky when it comes to comparing data sets (risk analyst in normal life).

What can we deduce from these profiles?

I am guessing that we can deduce that the two lanets have very similar upper atmosphere???

Paul

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments!. Haven`t posted for a while, I thought interest in spectro was diminishing on the forum glad it isn`t :grin:

Jim - I`m using the same grating as you, the SA100 an excellent way to get into spectroscopy (I gather an SA200 is coming?) I thought California was known for its clear skies :grin:

Paul - yes it would imply that the two atmospheres are similar. I would like to take a spectrum of a star similar to the sun (G2V) from a similar altitude and subtract it from the planets spectrum. I tried it once with a library G2V curve and got weird results. Should be easy to try one of Jupiter and see how that compares!

Best

Steve

Archived