Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon is eating the Sun!

JB80

These were the words of my 4 y.o son as he was looking at todays partial eclipse, he also said the Sun was broken. :D

Makes me laugh but he had a good time and we tried to explain to him what was happening as best we could. All in all it was a good little session, 28°C, clear skies and I had 2 telescopes set up one Ha and the other white light and a little solar projector. Both boys, my wife and my in-laws who are visiting from France  all had a look too and were suitably impressed(or just polite to amuse my geekiness).

I took a heap of white light images and will get to them when I have some time but it was all manually guided by hand, initial looks show they aren't too bad but there are some dust bunnies which will need to be dealt with.

Anyway I thought I'd share as it was a good morning all round. :)

post-8383-0-80857500-1383486295_thumb.jp

post-8383-0-98233100-1383486144_thumb.jp

post-8383-0-48551200-1383487083_thumb.jp

Thanks all for the comments. :)

At least it's taken a little nibble!

Looks like you had perfect weather for a great session and some useful outreach :)   And the projector setup looks really effective.

Good job Jarrod. It looks like you had a better view than they did in Kenya. Their live feed of the total eclipse was a failure due to the weather.

I do like the little solar projector.

The weather was great, since then it's been terrible though so I was lucky it stayed clear for Sunday.

The projector is really perfect for this type of event, definitely a must at any daytime solar session for the public I'd say. Plus it was fun to make even though all the intructions I had were in German but since then I believe FLO are now stocking a range of these products.

Very nice to see, both the eclipse and children getting involved.

We're promised some decent sunshine tomorrow.  It'll be the first time in months if it happens.

James

It's always great when the kids show an interest, I try to set up a bit earlier now at night so I can let them have a look at the Moon or something before bed.

Looks like a little scope is on the cards for Christmas now.

Archived