SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ES Maxvision 68 20mm differences ?

AlexB67

If I were in England I would buy either the 20mm or the 24mm, I know how good they are, I would use it in my finder scope. I am sorry to say at the moment I use a 24mm Panoptic and for doing that I should be locked up, possibly for life.

Alan.

Rubbish! people seriously underestimate the importance of a good finder scope. I draw the line at opening up a 31T5 to insert a cross-hair to create a 15.5x80mm triplet finder, but a good finder is worth its weight in gold.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused.

The BST have been lauded on this forum - now inhabiting spots 1 through 3 on my Christmas list.

In a fit of "rave review blindness" I surcomed to a MaxVision 24mm 68deg the other day. Great eyepiece. Thoroughly recommend.

Should I replace The BST's on the list with MV's on my list??? 5mm 8mm and 18mm

Paul

Paul, if it were me knowing what I know now with the BSTs I have, and the one MV, I'd say the a good collection at price would be the MVs in the longer focal lengths, and the BSTs for the 12 down to 5 would make an excellent combination.  Say 24, 16 MVs and 12, 8,5 BST.  The difference in FOV does not really matter at that spread that much IMHO.  In fact as a rule I tend to really look at exit pupil as well as much as anything.  Perhaps I am turning into a bit of focal length/exit pupil junky and I like my ranges, for example I love having the 20 MV in between the 15 and 25 BST mm in the same scope as yours, it is just what I like for some targets, though not essential of course. Just a mere  3 - 4 eyepieces could get a lot of observing done.

Paul, if it were me knowing what I know now with the BSTs I have, and the one MV, I'd say the a good collection at price would be the MVs in the longer focal lengths, and the BSTs for the 12 down to 5 would make an excellent combination.  Say 24, 16 MVs and 12, 8,5 BST.  The difference in FOV does not really matter at that spread that much IMHO.  In fact as a rule I tend to really look at exit pupil e.

Yes. The exit pupil is a new one on me. Still looking for the equation to calculate (like to know the maths behind the eye piece calculators). I was about to purchase the MV 34mm68deg when the issue was raised in a separate thread. Saved me from a £100 mistake!!

I now realise that I need a second slower scope to get those wide views (as recommended by a respected member of the SGL comunity on another thread). Possibly with a decent EQ mount and some good imaging potential. It just keeps getting better. On top of the saved £100, I will also save the £30 from not buying a T mount for the current scope.

So am now aiming for BST 5mm & 8mm, MV 16mm & 24mm and a gourmet imaging setup...... Ohh.......

Paul

Yes. The exit pupil is a new one on me. Still looking for the equation to calculate (like to know the maths behind the eye piece calculators). I was about to purchase the MV 34mm68deg when the issue was raised in a separate thread. Saved me from a £100 mistake!!

Paul

2 ways of working it out: the simplest is eyepiece focal length divided by telescope focal ratio (10mm eyepiece on an f5 scope gives 2mm exit pupil).

The other is telescope aperture divided by magnification (10mm eyepiece on 200mm F5 scope: magnification is 1000/10=100x; 200mm aperture/100x =2mm exit pupil)

Archived