Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for the biggest useable wide field EP for Heritage 130p

Big_Daz

Thanks Michael, just read up on field stops and the maximum field stop diameter seems to be 27mm for a 1.25" ep and 46mm for a 2" ep, as the Heritage 130p only has a 1.25" focuser I will look for a magnified finder instead.

Ah, okay . Well cheap then would be a straight 32mm plossl. I had a simple Meade 4000 series 32mm . It was my first. ( proper) eyepiece and I found it excellent for wider views and a useful finder. I paid less than £20 from a well known auction site.

Thanks Michael, just read up on field stops and the maximum field stop diameter seems to be 27mm for a 1.25" ep and 46mm for a 2" ep, as the Heritage 130p only has a 1.25" focuser I will look for a magnified finder instead.

Hi Daz,

I ws wondering what you mean by magnified finder?  In a 130p, at F5 you have a focal length in the scope of 650mm I think?

with a 32mm Plossl that is 20x magnification.  Very low magnification indeed.  most finders are around 6x-10x so a step up from these in your scope is 32mm plossl.    It's worth pointing out that although a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece gives 27x magnification it also shows more or less an indentical true field as a 32mm plossl only it's spread over a much more eye pleasing wide apparent field of view.

Most "Super" 25 mm EPs I have seen are either "super Plössl" designs or "super RK" designs. Apparent field of view (AFOV) 50 to 55° or 60° at most. The MaxVision has 68° AFOV, so considerably more. The quality is a huge step up. The 32mm Plössl gives the same true FOV, at a lower magnification.

Archived