NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fingers crossed

Hawkeye

Nice picture i am new at imaging and am learning that the gap between the initial subs and the final image has so many variables that it becomes an art in itself.

I have to agree with you there. I'm rapidly learning that the acquisition of the data is the easy bit. it's the processing where the fun (I think it's fun) begins.

I've been at it now for about a year which sounds a bit but when you think this adds up to about half a dozen descent nights..... well I tend to forget more than I learn between sessions :(.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch! That looks worse than mine, but probably mine would look like that without the CLS filter.

Not sure if the Hutech would be better with my variety of LP, but funds are too thin ATM to try it.

Correction, I *do* have funds, (From mum's estate) enough for one of those lovely 7" APOs if I were totally barking, but it's ring fenced for building work. Afterwards I'll see if there's anything left......

I now  use a cls clip filter and really like it. I think M31 is trickier than you think (I've certainly had no great success on it) A friend of mine put over 25 hrs into it with a dslr which took him 18 mths. It certainly was/is a stunning image but I'm not sure I've got the patience for that.:)

As a side note, he too lives in/nr London so it can be done.

Yep, that pretty good considering what you're starting with.

I think your colours are better than mine, due to the CLS filter.

If someone had said a few months ago that it was possible to even get an image of a star let alone a galaxy i would have laughed all i want to do is get the best i can from my garden view and i love the challenge. 

Well here is my first lot of processing 

M45 14*300 seconds lights + 10 dark frames + 10 Bias frames, Stacked in DSS and then tried to tweek it all is PS

SW200P on HEQ5 and Canon 1000D

post-20946-0-72448200-1383170233_thumb.j

Oh and you WILL spend £600 on a mount!

I dunno, but that Hutech filter's looking more and more attractive.

I. Must. Not. Spend, Anything. More.

I suppose it depends on your LP.

Here I am in a yellow/orange area on the LP map but I have my obsy set up so my view

is from NW thru East to SE. This way I lose most of the LP from the town.

Only snag is I get the light domes from Horsham, Crawley/Gatwick to the NE.

East is ok but just behind me to the West are football club floodlights and a school that

has floodlights on till real late.

Here are two subs without any processing, first one is 30secs at iso 3200, second is iso 6400

LP1.jpg

LP.jpg

To give an idea of the LP,  here is an unfiltered 600D 55mm....20secs at iso6400, taken around midnight.

LP2.jpg

Now here's a thing.

When I was looking at these images last night I was using my main computer with a Dell wide-gamut monitor and was seeing all kinds of dodgy colour artefacts, but on my laptop with its rather feeble screen the images looked fine.

So (If anyone's still following this thread) what monitor do you use, and do you see colour banding etc?

Now here's a thing.

When I was looking at these images last night I was using my main computer with a Dell wide-gamut monitor and was seeing all kinds of dodgy colour artefacts, but on my laptop with its rather feeble screen the images looked fine.

So (If anyone's still following this thread) what monitor do you use, and do you see colour banding etc?

Don't see any colour banding on my Compaq lappie.

Can you give us a screen shot?

And also 28 * 30 seconds on M42

Again stacked in DSS and a small amount of playing in PS (I really need to learn the processing part)

attachicon.gifM42 2013_10_29 V1.jpg

Have a look at this video on Youtube. It has some good tips on how to bring out detail in an RGB image created from RAW files. Easier than reading a book/manual!  :grin:

Have a look at this video on Youtube. It has some good tips on how to bring out detail in an RGB image created from RAW files. Easier than reading a book/manual!  :grin:

That's funny, I was watching that very video on Youtube last night and playing with my data again...

I still didn't get much out of the data but there again I was only taking 30 seconds subs so not really expecting much.

Looking at my images (and data) again I don't think I was quite in focus which isn't helping me much.

Archived