Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Witchs head

turbo 2011

It's enormous. It's also persecuted by flare from Rigel, even when the star is off shot. I couldn't use the reducer in the Tak FSQ85 because it picked up this flare, but using it unreduced at 450mm I was able to get it flare-free with a 15mm square CCD chip in a 2 panel mosaic. Clearly Rigel is an optical challenge!! 

There's more. (Sorry!!) The Witch lies right in the path of more satellites than you can shake a stick at, so you will probably find your picture vandalized by high flying modern technology. This was a great chance for the sigma clipping routine in Astro Art 5 to strut its stuff, which it did brilliantly by making them all disappear, though I had a hell of a lot of subs. You need a good, well-adjusted Sigma stacking routine because, for me at least, every single sub had a sat.

This is the 2 panel at 450mm FL and the 15mm square chip; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-T6SPJrR/0/X3/WITCHEAD%20NEBULA-X3.jpg

At some point I want to add Ha for the background because it is certainly there.

Olly

Archived