NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This is why I love my MCX2

Astrogate

Hi Group

Just wanted to thank those who joined me tonight and kept me company during my 5 hours of broadcasting in 3C or 36F temperature clear skies.

Captured 4 x 60 sec exposures of the Crab nebula using my MCX2 and VRC10" @ F3.8 + IDAS P2 filter. This was how we viewed the Crab on NSN last night under average transparency clear skies with no moon and mag 4 skies using Miloslick to stack live. M1 was only at the time 31 degrees altitude. The MCX2 never stops amazing me every time I go out and use it. We viewed many object during the night session and I only capture M1 the last object.

M1 Crab Nebula

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/10549971826/

Clear skies to all!

Chris A

Astrogate

I was only with you for a short time at the start Chris, but it was educational. Its a shame I missed the real show, maybe next time. I've only recently joined NSN, but its a cool place to be. Watching the DSO's slowly appear on the screen is very addictive. I'm more of an imager than a visual observer, but this makes visual observing much more fun.

I look forward to your next cast.

Great image Chris! Also thats a great name you have there too :)

Ive logged onto NSN a couple of times but no one was broadcasting.

Please post something here in the VA section when you dudes are going to broadcast please!! :)

Great image Chris! Also thats a great name you have there too :)

Ive logged onto NSN a couple of times but no one was broadcasting.

Please post something here in the VA section when you dudes are going to broadcast please!! :)

It's hard to pre-announce a broadcast because like all aspects of Astronomy, it is weather dependant.

Many times I had posted in another Forum that I was doing a Broadcast "tomorrow night" only to be clouded out at the last minute.

And because of time differences, if a clear sky suddenly appears and I decide to set up and let people know, by the time they read it in Forums I have already finished for the night  :grin:

It's a cruel Hobby LOL!

Yeh i know what you mean Ken. Must be hard to organise with so many dependant factors.

Stupid question....but whats the time difference from the UK to your part of aussieland? Roughly what time here should i logon to get the best change of seeing a broadcast?

Thank you very much Allan, Ken, Karl and Chris for the very kind words. Yes it would be nice if you guys could join in on my broadcast next time and I will post here when that will take place on that day.

Clear skies to all!

Chris A

Astrogate

Excellent detail in there Chris. I was going to ask you what a IDAS P2 on your header was, but a googled it while you was broadcasting, I didn't want to look a numpty [ I know I am ] in front of everyone who was watching your broadcast.

Looking forward to watching more of your BC's especially when your setting up has you make sure everything is spot on.

Thank you Ken for posting a link to this fantastic LP filter. Here is the order in which I use my filters and I hope this can help some of you out if you happen to observe like I do from a city. The best darkest night possible and above average transparency - IDAS P2 light pollution filter, the night is still quite dark but the transparency is average or below - Lumicon Deep Sky LP filter, The moon becomes an issue causing strong gradients even with an above average transparency - "Astronomik" UHC filter and a full moon up high making the previously mention filters inoperable - Orion 7nm Ha filter and this will be for strictly viewing emission nebulas and a few planetary nebulas like M57 & M27 only. If you notice from the 1st mention filter to the last the order of light transmission is weakest to strongest.

Chris A

Astrogate

Archived