Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help making a choice

I am struggling and would love help please.

For home we have the Heritage 130p and are very happy with it, plus several additional eyepieces.

But for taking on holiday I can't make a decision.

The destination will be pretty dark site.

I have ruled out the Celestron 70 travel scope.

Reading posts I gather a dark site bags for increased what you can see.

The scope would also be used for day time looking at boats on a far horizon and birds on the near shore plus night time use of moon, planets and other obvious items of interest like comets.

There is a decent camera tripod already available to use there.

The two I am trying to decide between are the Celestron c70 or c90.

I like the c70 because it is significantly lighter than the c90 (cheaper by miles too).

So would that 20mm extra aperature really make that mugh difference in a location with much better brighter light than the UK both during the day and much darker at night (yey for no street lights).

Interested in member's thoughts pleae?

Perhaps someone has tried both?

I would suggest some kind of spotting scope would be more useful than an astronomy telescope going by your stated requirements. A good day time spotting scope can also be use on the night sky. But it doesn't always work the other way round. Hth :)

A technical thought. When looking through say a 70mm mak And a 90mm mak, 750 and 1250 focal length respectively.

In order to achieve a manificatioon of x65 would be 11mm and 19mm roughly.

So would the resulting image of say saturn be the same sized pea or is there another calculation using the aperature that would give a ratio difference please?

Archived