Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spc900 bandwidth

Having at last got sorted with a borrowed apple laptop. Spc 900 webcam, uv/ir filter and macam loaded and , apparantly working I went outside to put Jupiter into the computer. Ha ha! All I got was' it enough bandwidth'on the screen. Into settings I found it was on 5 so I clicked up to 30 , as far as it would go and it said 'not enough bandwidth. Just wonder if there is any way of making it work please !!?

Having at last got sorted with a borrowed apple laptop. Spc 900 webcam, uv/ir filter and macam loaded and , apparantly working I went outside to put Jupiter into the computer. Ha ha! All I got was' it enough bandwidth'on the screen. Into settings I found it was on 5 so I clicked up to 30 , as far as it would go and it said 'not enough bandwidth. Just wonder if there is any way of making it work please !!?

Hi,

It only works on USB 1.1 so expect to get about 10 to 12 frames per second.

A.G

The frame rates available with the SPC900 vary depending on resolution.  Because of the limited bandwidth of the cameras USB1.1 interface, 30fps at full 640x480 resolution just isn't viable.  In fact, anything over 10fps at 640x480 will involve fairly heavy compression (and loss of data).  There is some compression at 10fps, but in my experience it's not too bad.  I really wouldn't recommend going any faster than that.

Other USB devices will also reduce the bandwidth available if they share the same USB bus, so it's best to try to avoid that if possible .

James

Thanks. A. G. 1:1. Do I have to find 1:1 ? I ve looked. There's so little in macam which is why I chose it! But 1:1 not in it. I m not happy using computers- sorry.

As James said do not push the webcam, it will not run faster. The 1.1 is inherent in the built of the webcam,  you can not change it, any computer or laptop these days is at least USB2 or 3 so your computer is probably not the issue. If you have a modern planetary camera such as an ASI 120 or simillar then the speed of the computer bus becomes an issue as these cameras download huge  amount of uncompressed raw data on to the hard disk of the computer at anything up to 100+ frames per second.

A.G

Actualy I still cant use it. I think it needs adjusting in settings for a small bright jupiter against a huge black sky!

Ideally you want to disable auto on everything, push the exposure up to maximum, gamma to 0, leave brightness and saturation at default and set the frame rate to 10fps.

Then adjust the gain to get a suitably bright image.  If you can get a histogram for the image then ideally you want it somewhere around 70% across.

I have no experience with capturing on Apple kit though, so you may need help from someone who has.

James

Archived