Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heyo from Stroud, Gloucestershire!

Keagle

Hi and welcome to SGL Kurt.

It can be quite daunting when choosing your first scope, so many to choose from. I myself made a rash purchase for my 1st scope, but that did leave me wanting more. And my wife was so kind to take over searching for a better scope when she found SGL and asked for help in picking one for the budget we had. She ended up purchasing the Skywatcher Skymax 127 supatrak for me and what a difference it makes. I know it wont stop there though. Wait until you get bitten by the `I want more bug` :rolleyes:

I sometimes wish i had started my hobby a lot earlier in life. Even though i had had an interest in astronomy for many a year it wasnt until September that i actually did something about it and bought my 1st scope. I have never looked back since.

Good luck in choosing your 1st scope Kurt.

Mark

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL Kurt.

It can be quite daunting when choosing your first scope, so many to choose from. I myself made a rash purchase for my 1st scope, but that did leave me wanting more. And my wife was so kind to take over searching for a better scope when she found SGL and asked for help in picking one for the budget we had. She ended up purchasing the Skywatcher Skymax 127 supatrak for me and what a difference it makes. I know it wont stop there though. Wait until you get bitten by the `I want more bug` :rolleyes:

I sometimes wish i had started my hobby a lot earlier in life. Even though i had had an interest in astronomy for many a year it wasnt until September that i actually did something about it and bought my 1st scope. I have never looked back since.

Good luck in choosing your 1st scope Kurt.

Mark

Hi Mark!

:D Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your first scope, but at least it did end up with a good outcome! Hehe, I've almost been bitten already. I'm glad I've found a hobby I really enjoy, and it gives me something to do that's actually slightly educational! Pft.

Thank you very much! :lol:

Kurt

Hi Kurt

Yes Astronomy is such an amazing and interesting hobby to get into, there is lots to learn and the more you learn the more you want to know. We are so lucky to live in this day and age when it comes Astronomy and technology.

Have you downloaded Stellarium yet? Its a must if you havent, id be lost without it. You can DL it at www.stellarium.org

Once its up and running just put your coordinates in and your ready to go.

This program will give you a good idea of what you should be able to see at any given time throughout the night. You can FF time and rewind also. Zoom in and out on Nebulae and Planets amongst other things.

Besides using stellarium, and once you have bought your scope, id advise you buy a planisphere and maybe a copy of turn left at Orion. All 3 together will help you immensely.

Enjoy

Mark

Hi Kurt

Yes Astronomy is such an amazing and interesting hobby to get into, there is lots to learn and the more you learn the more you want to know. We are so lucky to live in this day and age when it comes Astronomy and technology.

Have you downloaded Stellarium yet? Its a must if you havent, id be lost without it. You can DL it at www.stellarium.org

Once its up and running just put your coordinates in and your ready to go.

This program will give you a good idea of what you should be able to see at any given time throughout the night. You can FF time and rewind also. Zoom in and out on Nebulae and Planets amongst other things.

Besides using stellarium, and once you have bought your scope, id advise you buy a planisphere and maybe a copy of turn left at Orion. All 3 together will help you immensely.

Enjoy

Mark

Hi Mark!

Yup, I recently downloaded Stellarium and it has been excellent. I'm going to get a planisphere, I bought Turn Left at Orion off Amazon the other day, so should be here soon! :rolleyes: I certainly agree about it being an amazing and interesting hobby, it's just the sheer scale of it, and the fact that so much of it lays unknown.

Happy New Years Eve! :lol:

Kurtis

Hey Kurt

One last thing for now. If you have a pair of bino`s or you are able to borrow some, do do. This will hopefully fill in the gap upto you getting your scope.

Have a great NY anyway.

Mark

Hmm never thought of that! I think my Dad had some - I'll see if I can find them! :rolleyes:

Thank you very much, I hope you have a great NY too!

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

Archived