NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 help

Hi, I'm looking to buy the Skywatcher 127 GO-TO in the next few weeks and wondered if someone could recommend some good accessories I may need?

Will the Stock eyepieces be sufficient for planet viewing?

Do I need a dew shield? Filters?

I'm going to get a power tank to avoid batteries.

I'm relatively new to this so any help would be appreciated :)

You will almost certainly need a dew shield.

I'd leave additional eyepieces for the moment though.  You've got all winter to view Jupiter (and then Mars) and once you've got the feel of the scope you may have a better idea of what sort of eyepieces you'd like to add.  When the time comes, the Baader Classic Orthos look to be worth considering, but they're not for everyone, having quite short eye relief.

James

Hi JuanCT,

I can highly recommend this set up, it's a beauty!  :grin:  Excellent for observing the moon, planets and larger / brighter deep space objects.  Also a pretty good way to get into lunar / planetary imaging down the line of it takes your fancy.

As James said, dew shield is a sound investment, and means you'll be able to stay out that bit longer on the good nights!  I'd leave the filters for now, I've yet to come across any reviews of filters where the overwhelming majority of people are blown away by the difference any particular filter makes.  The only filter you might want to consider early on is a solar filter - enables you to view the sun in white light, which of course should not be tried without the correct filter in place - it's fascinating stuff for sure but I'd still recommend getting used to all the kit on night-targets before you go down this route.

As for eyepieces, again, James is right, probably best to wait for now and see what you think you'll need.  I think most come with a 25mm and a 10mm.  I got lucky and mine came with a 40mm (good), a 25mm (very good) a 15mm (distinctly average) a 10mm (not great) and a 2x barlow, which seems ok, but I've yet to use a comparable barlow, so can't comment - it certainly 'does the job' though! :smiley:  For all my unscientific ratings here, whatever comes with the scope will enable you to see the different views well enough to give you an idea of how you like to view objects, and you can make your choices from there.

Hope you enjoy the new scope and let us know how you get on with it!

You will need a dew shield, Mak's and SCT attract dew, you can purchase one or if feeling like it make one.

Power tank, yes better then batteries but they need care. If drained they do not work as well afterwards so do not use it until the power pack is too flat to drive the scope. (Run off to Poundland and buy a pack of AA's, just in case you need leads and connectors for the power pack)

May need a moon filter, it can be bright.

Eyepieces are more difficult, often said use the ones you have at first, however they are often poor and to an extent can spoil the experience. Look at the moon through the supplied and then through a BST and the difference is significant and the same on Jupiter and Saturn. For a Mak the long focal length supplied eyepiece will be best and you also need to get used to the scope and setting it up. You may want a 32mm or 40mm plossl immediatly to help in this, I know I did, just for the additional view it supplied to find anything.

Other advice is collect together all the data you will need, or likely to need, and when setting it up take your time and do it as accurately as you can.

Hi, I'm looking to buy the Skywatcher 127 GO-TO in the next few weeks and wondered if someone could recommend some good accessories I may need?

Will the Stock eyepieces be sufficient for planet viewing?

Do I need a dew shield? Filters?

I'm going to get a power tank to avoid batteries.

I'm relatively new to this so any help would be appreciated :)

Im also looking to buy this in the next few days...Thanks

Nice purchase. If and when you do look to got yourself some additional EPs take a look at the Vixen NPL range. That's my choice for use with this scope and I think they suit eachother well.

Archived