Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1805 Ha/(HaR)GB

SteveL

Well, as the chances of me getting any images this week looked particularly slim, I decided it was time to have a decent play with blending Ha data into RGB. I`ve done this a few times over the last few weeks, but never realy been happy with the results. Also, processing it on the 1Gb laptop wasnt helping much, I was spending more time waiting for PSCS to stop swapping than actually doing anything useful. So, I have just spent 90 minutes or so playing with the following data to create my first Ha blended image that I`m happy with.

I do note that the difference between my laptop screen and my desktop screen is quite large, but as most of the images I see from others look better on my laptop, thats the one I use for the final colour balance and stuff. Apologies if this image looks far too "overly red" or far too "washed out salmon pink" on your screen.

OTA: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + 0.8 FR/FF

Guiding: NS8GPS @ f/10 + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 10 x 900s, CLS filter

Ha Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL,8 x 900s, Astronomik Ha 13nm

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools (Ha as ~60% luminance, Ha/Red = 80%/20%)

Note: The RGB data for this is slightly flawed, due to the fact that my imaging train wasnt perfectly aligned (doh!)... the RGB stars on the left of the image are larger than on the right.

(Click on image for larger version)

ic1805_20071227_hahargb_small.jpg

Heh Heh!, that looks as bog standard as a the Space Shuttle. :rolleyes:

However, whilst your imaging gear is not quite the Hubble, you are producing extremely high quality stuff.

Also, in view of the relatively short time, (from what I can gather.) that you have been doing this, it is nothing short of miraculous.

And all this without an observatory. :lol::D:(. Sorry Steve, had to get that bit in.

Ron. :clouds1:

Nice result Steve O lol . just look at all those wires though ehehehheh , nice not to have to pack them all away Steve ya know , Progress so fast , Just a natural Talent , and hard work of course , well done Steve on an excellent years work , i can always remember your first image s, then it was questions questions and even more questions .paid dividends though,

Cheers

Rog

I just knew the OBSY bit was coming :lol:

My first astroimage was 4th March 2007 (moon), first DSO was 19th May 2007 (M13), so for some unknown reason, my progress has been a bit rapid...

Ah, I've sussed you out mate, you are bunking off work aren't you? :rolleyes:

Nice result Steve O lol . just look at all those wires though ehehehheh , nice not to have to pack them all away Steve ya know , Progress so fast , Just a natural Talent , and hard work of course , well done Steve on an excellent years work , i can always remember your first image s, then it was questions questions and even more questions .paid dividends though,

Cheers

Rog

If you think Steve has asked you a lot of question Rog. just wait till I've finished with you mate. :rolleyes:

Did you take your Ha images binned or unbinned? If unbinned, how did you process the Bayer Matrix in MaximDL?

All my images are unbinned, but when i strip out the red (Ha) channel in ImagesPlus and convert them to greyscale, it halves the width/height of the subs... so I then stack them with 2xdrizzle in DSS to bring the Ha image to the same scale as the RGB. With my guidng not being pixel perfect (which I am almost sure is just mirror creep/flop, and almost no differential flexure), the drizzle stacking does its job well.

Archived