Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

International Observing the Moon Night

LunaSwift

That is TONIGHT. 

What have you done in respect of this event.

My local club, The Worthing Astronomers , set up a public viewing  event on the promenade at Worthing Seafront, I must admit that it is not the best dark sky location due to numerous seaside lights, But 7 scopes were set up with the prime intention of letting members of the public get a look at the Moon, I was surprised how many people were out and walking along the prom on a draughty October evening.

The weather was kind and we had some clear skys, I gave up counting the numbers of people who stopped and looked through our telescopes, and several took photos on their mobile phones, Also some , having viewed the moon, asked how much it would cost to start up in visual Astronomy and were amazed when told how little it would cost. I know for a fact that 2 people that looked through my SW 120 ST are going to buy similar scopes after the weekend,

All in all it was a very successful evening, we have possibly recruited some more members to our society , and introduced many more into the wonders of our hobby . It was a shame that due to the LP of them prom lights we were not able to show the delights of a truly dark sky enviroment, but at least we did our best to show people what is in the sky .

Graham

Rain, rain and more rain.

Only hope is that one area of the cloud may be a bit brighter then the rest so will get an idea that the moon is still there. However it looks heavy enough cloud that even that is doubtful.

Archived