NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C/2012 S1 Ison from the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory

At last! We managed to image ISON (C/ 2012 S1) in the early hours of yesterday morning. it doesnt rise above the horizon before 2:30 am so it was about 4am onwards when I managed to image it. Imaged with our 0.5m Planewave scope, on a Paramount ME, with our Artemis 11000 single shot colour CCD camera. 6, 5 minute exposures stacked twice to make a composite without trailing and secondly the individual frames stitched into an animation.

Images can be found at

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200645377999313&notif_t=like

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540412476038536&set=a.326519514094501.75040.168473513232436&type=1&theater

Fantastic well done. Please excuse my ignorance of all things imaging but why does the comet display a green colour. Is this the result of the way you have processed the image or is this what we may expect to see later in the winter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations Robbie ...very nicely captured, a lot of green extending well into the tail compared to even that of recent comet Lemmon, perhaps an indication of just how active the core is.

I was reading somewhere that the magnitude light curve of ISON as it approaches was similar to that of other comets that fragmented ...could this be another example ...we shall see... :smiley:

Mike

Its a real colour. Primarily due to the comet emitting a green gas called cyanogen

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

Interestingly I've subscribed to a site called bad astronomer on my flipboard account and this is what it says about the green glow of the comet "Ison appears green most likely due to the presence of carbon molecules. This glow is commonly mistaken as being from cynogen.

An article discussing this can be found on the cloudy nights telescope forum this http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6130457/Main/5664654

I'm obviously not an expert in this area but thought it might be worth a look.

I’m in jersey in the English channel iv been staying up till dawn every chance I get and by the time ison comes high enough to be visible the sky is either to cloudy or we have had fog. My wife is about ready to smash my scope so ill go to bed could make out a fuzzy mars on Sunday morning. Nice picks hope we all get to see it first hand soon but the weather isn’t looking good.

I’m in jersey in the English channel iv been staying up till dawn every chance I get and by the time ison comes high enough to be visible the sky is either to cloudy or we have had fog. My wife is about ready to smash my scope so ill go to bed could make out a fuzzy mars on Sunday morning. Nice picks hope we all get to see it first hand soon but the weather isn’t looking good. :embarrassed: 

Archived