Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mirror scrub

thing

1. Remove rings, watches etc. – they can scratch the mirror.

2. Clean out your sink , put a folded towel in the sink.

3. Place the mirror , aluminium side up.

4. Add water slowly to cover mirror completely , ( if the water is very cold – use room temp water)

5. Twist the mirror a bit from side to side.

6. Drain water away.

7. Wash mirror with distilled water.

8. Remove mirror from sink , stand on edge to dry. ( CARE-make sure it cannot roll)

If there are stubborn marks.

1. Add a very small amount of detergent to the sink water.

2. Twist the mirror from side to side. Then as 6,7,8

If there is still muck present use some pure cotton wool ( not coloured) and very gently swab the effected area – keeping the wool under water. Discard the cotton wool and use new with each wipe.

Then 6, 7 , 8 again

John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I cleaned my mirror I did tons of googling about what to use and what not to use.

I find that the isopropyl dried quickly, left no streaks or marks and did not affect the mirror at all.

However, don't take this any form of guarantee that yours would be OK!!

OK I tried another wash, no soap, no cotton wool, just tap water. I rinsed off with deionised water (3.99 for 5 litres from Halfords, tons left after the wash) and the results were 100 times better. There are still some minute water marks left from the last wash but you really have to be picky to see them. Mounted in the scope it looks pristine. I'm a happy bunny. Now to collimate......... :rolleyes:

Well done Thing,

I might give it a go on my dirty mirror as well. My scope's maker must have used the same paint flaking procedure as yours!

cheers

Sam

I don't know if it will make any difference now that it's clean but it makes me feel a whole lot better, I know I'm starting from a clean standard and I can't blame anything (ie 'I wonder if it's those paint flecks that are stopping me from seeing the Dumbell') other than my own eyes or the light pollution around here.

• 4 weeks later...

hello there,

i just cleaned my 8" mirror after 4 years it came out perfect, this is what i done

1) immerse mirror in warm water move around gently, this removes any harmfull grit or bits that would scratch the suface.

2) rinse with distilled water

3) gently clean with isopryl alcohol

4) rinse again with distilled water

5) dry with hair dryer

mine came out spotless, hope this helps anyone

Archived