Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Tripod Leg Stuck...

Does anyone have any advice for unsticking a stuck tripod leg. After my session at Kelling I was packing down and it would only retract half way in (and was very stiff getting it that far).

At the moment it's soaking in thin penetrating oil but would be interested if anyone has a better or more instant solution. Thanks in anticipation. :)

Hi Jonathan - I think it was the metal press bar that sits in the tailored groove and presses on the plastic split ring inside the leg collar, had just got very slightly twisted and jammed  (probably cos I do have a tendency to over tighten stuff). I removed the collar by undoing the 4 grub screws that hold it to the upper leg and the lower leg slid off easily (complete with jammed collar).

Then a half hour soak with a few drips of penetrating oil and stood against a radiator. Then I picked it up holding by the collar and a swift tap on the foot with a wooden mallet was enough to shift it. I cleaned everything up with soapy washing liquid, slipped the press bar back in it's groove, and pushed the split ring over it. The leg then slid back in very easily and tightened back onto the upper leg.

It now works like new again :)

(There was no corrosion inside at all - just me being ham fisted lol)

I've noticed some evidence of corrosion on my HEQ5, white powdery stuff but not on my NEQ6, it is a bit newer though.

Just a word of warning though I have heard that it's possible to deform the tripod leg by over thigh tightening the screws.

Herbig

I've noticed some evidence of corrosion on my HEQ5, white powdery stuff but not on my NEQ6, it is a bit newer though.
Just a word of warning though I have heard that it's possible to deform the tripod leg by over thigh tightening the screws.

Is that white powdery stuff on the Internal-External of the tube? Well, It's the aluminium oxidisation process that aluminium goes through to repair itself from corrosion and requires a closer look. You may be able to clean it with (Dry) steel wool or very fine emery paper, if internal, attach some steel wool to a string or rod (As in cleaning a rifle) and then coat with petroleum jelly or a chain spray lube and wipe off any access. In fact I would advise anyone with quality tripods to spray the internals with WD40 or chine lube. Some of these tubes have been laying around manufacturing shops for year before being used.

Hi Kim, if you have the same trouble again, which I hope you don`t, try very hot water or a hair dryer on the outside to expand the tube, sometimes enough to free things off. After you have cleaned all parts, you could try something like "Back to Black" as used for your car bumpers and plastics, which is Silicone based. A coating may stop it sticking in the future. Just to digress, if anyone reading this has curtains with plastic runners, a coating of the above mentioned spray on the track and runners, will bring about an amazing transformation as they will glide like silk, lasts 1 to 2 years before you need to treat again, does not seem to affect or stain the material :) 

Archived