NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

American Star Party, for the adventurous!

The Warthog

Last year, I attended the Cherry Springs Star Party, in Northern Pennsylvania. It was a wonderful time, even though the first three days it rained, and cleared up just in time for good viewing on Saturday night. There were plenty of activities, and ways to spend money. It is put on by the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg.

I'm sending this to you half-seriously. It's a long way, but it's relatively cheap once you get there. I think your best bet would be to fly in to Buffalo, and rent a car. There are a couple of decent hotels in the Coudersport, PA area, if you don't feel like tenting. The natives are friendly, and the wildlife non-existent (i.e. no bears, boars, or night clubs.) You will have to put up with American beer, but the food in the pubs isn't too bad. The food on site is awful, except for the fresh fruit.

http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/index.php

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WH

This is year is going to be difficult (work commitments), but I would certainly be interested next year!!

I've noted it in my diary for next year to start planning!

Thanks for the invite :clouds2:

Er, just exactly what did you do, Steve? That picture isn't from Caz?

I met up with several of the regulars at the last Star Party and thought it'd be fun to try on Jamie's (he's a big chap and works in cold-storage!) freezer trousers ... you see!  The pic is Jamie's!!  There is a bigger version somewhere on the forum!!!

Steve :clouds2:

About this American Star-Party.

I really like the idea :clouds2:  I remember Starman also suggested it some time ago.  Perhaps, if not this year, then next ... it'd give us all a chance to save up.  

I'd have to be confident that we'd get a clear sky though, considering the distance involved.

Steve

There will be a Star Party in August in Mount Forest, Ontario, as well. I haven't been to that one, but am considering it this year. August in Ontario is usually pretty dry and hot, hot, hot. I will post about that one when the information is up. I do intend to go to Cherry Springs.

There are lots of scopes. The one good night we had at CSSP, I hardly looked through my scope at all.

One other thing about coming here - We spend dollars like you spend pounds, and a dollar is worth 50p. I can eat in any fast food restaurant for less than $7, and take my wife out for prime rib with a glass of wine for less than $50. Petrol is 89 cents per litre just now, and a bottle of blended scotch is $23.

Decent hotels run $60 to $150 a night, depending on location and quality.

I paid 15.99 pounds for a bad meal in a service centre in England, that I wouldn't have paid $10 for in Canada.

So, you should be able to have a pretty cheap vacation once you get here.

I've been to the TSP (long time ago now) and I have to say that no does star parties like the Americans...

If anyone has a chance then you have to do it! Naked eye visibility was around +7.5! Milky way looked like a cloud bank coming over!!!! truly a sight to behold.

Ant

Last year at the CSSP, I met Don Machholz, of comet fame, and had quite a long chat with him. I have his permission to use a goto telescope for Messier Marathons. There were several other professional astronomers giving presentations at the party, including a lass from the Comet Temple project. I missed her presentation, unfortunately.

Hey, WH! What a coincidence! SAC had Don Machholz as their guest speaker at the November meeting. Our VP decided to show him the site where Hale-Bopp was discovered, which also happens to be about 12 miles from my house. She gave us a call and they dropped in for a visit and tour of Stone Haven. We then all went to the site, and out to dinner. He's a very nice man, and not stuffy at all. His talk at the meeting was very self depricating and humble. BTW, he runs the Messier Marathon from memory, without setting circles of any kind. He said he'd most likely join us in AZ this year, since timing makes it possible to see all 110 that night. (Hopefully, Rosie and I can do it again as well!)

Thanks for reminding me.

The CSSP has now posted their fees. It is $37 for an adult, $27 for a student with I.D. This includes the camping fee, for the length of the party.

BTW, the toilets are a little primitive, and there are no showers, unless it rains. There are standpipes for water.

You can get a shower by going to a neighbouring state park, and paying a very reasonable fee to use theirs.

Archived