Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perhaps I'm mad

I must be.. I mean, I have to be to be considering a Mak, but it is what it is :rolleyes:.

Do you think a 127 / 150 Skymax would do well in my current set-up - for planetary, lunar and double star work? Or even the 180, but I'm not sure what I'd mount it on..

They are great little scopes. Not really in the 'all rounder' catagory but they excell at the planetary/ lunar/ double star views you mention. And the long focal length is forgiving on cheaper eyepieces. Oh, and they are compact and bombproof* for traveling with.

*just don't look at this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196635-not-for-the-faint-hearted/#entry2065600

They are great little scopes. Not really in the 'all rounder' catagory but they excell at the planetary/ lunar/ double star views you mention. And the long focal length is forgiving on cheaper eyepieces. Oh, and they are compact and bombproof* for traveling with.

*just don't look at this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196635-not-for-the-faint-hearted/#entry2065600

I don't really need an all-rounder, this would be my 6th scope :rolleyes:.

Oh, and look at the author of that thread too :evil:.

But yeah, good for planetary stuff - of course Jupiter is only up at a silly time in the morning at the moment to view. Need to wait a bit before I can view it at a sensible time :).

I feel the 150 mak is the "Cinderella" of the skymax range, i love my 180 but its hard work and needs a decent mount, mine is on HEQ5 syn thingy, would love to use it on the AZ4, in fact i have, but worried about some thing breaking!! 

I feel the 150 mak is the "Cinderella" of the skymax range, i love my 180 but its hard work and needs a decent mount, mine is on HEQ5 syn thingy, would love to use it on the AZ4, in fact i have, but worried about some thing breaking!!

I'd love to upgrade my 127 to a 150 at some point.

Archived