Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Processing Anomaly Question.

FarSide

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to find out what on earth this anomaly is in processing images of Jupiter in wavelets. In imaging Jupiter i find no artifacts or 'circles' of any nature, and when watching the AVI back i find nothing wrong at all. In processing i can only go so far (leaving the image soft) before this anomaly starts to show very early on in raising the sliders in registax. I stack using Auttostakkart and fine tune in Registax6 wavelets. I'm using a ZW0 ACI120MM CCD and a C11. If anyone has any ideas it would mean a great deal.

Thanks,

Mike.

Image attached. 

post-8388-0-96632100-1381097206_thumb.pn

These artefacts have been reported by other users of the ZWO ASI 120MM, they are called Newton's rings, they are hiding in the live AVI image but only become really evident once you start to sharpen.

One technique to avoid them is to deliberately misalign the polar alignment and allow the planet to gently drift across the sensor during acquisition, when the AVI is stacked then the Newton rings will not be static in your captured AVi and won't appear in the final sharpened image, I have to do this with my Solar images captured with the same ASI 120MM camera.

Newton's rings don't appear in all ASI 120MM cameras as the effect depends on very precise (and unlucky) spacing between the sensor, the sensor cover glass, and any additional filters in the optical chain.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page that describes Newton rings (you will need to copy and paste the complete link, for some reason it won't work as normal shortcut, I don't think the inverted comma in the Newton's part is accepted by the SGL editor as a proper http link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings

William.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to find out what on earth this anomaly is in processing images of Jupiter in wavelets. In imaging Jupiter i find no artifacts or 'circles' of any nature, and when watching the AVI back i find nothing wrong at all. In processing i can only go so far (leaving the image soft) before this anomaly starts to show very early on in raising the sliders in registax. I stack using Auttostakkart and fine tune in Registax6 wavelets. I'm using a ZW0 ACI120MM CCD and a C11. If anyone has any ideas it would mean a great deal.

Thanks,

Mike.

Image attached. 

Hi,

I got these rings  last year while starting out, both with ASI 120 MC and an OpticStar P75. I was told that weak signal will cause this too.

A.G

Archived