NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

St80 compared to evostar 80ed for viewing

Firstly, sorry to start a 'which is best, what to buy, already probably asked' thread. I know there's no magic answer.

I've been reading up over the last few months, and have previously owned a sw refractor, but sometime ago so feel I need to get back into learning the sky, getting the bug etc, before forking out £2k ish.

I've come to the conclusion that a heq5 pro, evostar 80ed, is gonna be a good setup for AP.

Add to this the inevitable st80 for a guided setup, a guide system, some power, new gloves and a hat and there goes the 2k.

My saving currently is about the £600. So some saving still to go for the ap setup.

My question really is, for observing in the meantime, is there much difference between the st80 or ed80 for viewing?

I can't afford the heq5 yet, so would a table top or cheap mount work as well with either for learning the sky again?

It makes sense to buy kit towards the kit I 'think' I want in the future, just not sure which way to get there.

I am also thinking that if I have this setup for ap, will I also inevitably want another scope for observing too at the same time or for when my o/h comes out to join in.

Therefore buying something like a 200p dob would be a good companion. Maybe getting the o/h more interested as slightly more to see through than an 80st, would also accelerate the saving for the ap setup.

I think I just got the excitement of buying some new toys and 'out-growing' the binoculars.

I have never used either of the scopes but I would think that the 80ED would be noticeably better due to the quality of the optics. The ST80 is a short focal length achromat so I imagine that chromatic aberration would be fairly apparent on many targets. 

If you can see yourself building up your imaging kit over time then it makes sense to buy one of the scopes now to enjoy some visual observing in the meantime. Personally, I would go for the 80ED and a reasonably priced mount such as an EQ3-2 or AZ4. With the EQ3 you would learn the basics of an EQ mount before getting the HEQ5, which might save some time and stress when you want to begin imaging!

Alternatively, the 200p would probably be a more satisfying visual instrument than an 80mm refractor, but it will take cash away from the imaging fund.

Decisions, decisions....  :grin:

I have owned both the scopes - a few of them over the years in fact !

For wide field, deep sky viewing at low magnifications the ST80 does really rather well. It is limited to 1.25" eyepieces though, unless you change the focuser. For higher power viewing, say more than 60x-80x, the ED80 is much more satisfying on the moon and planets as is shows virtually no chromatic aberration and has a longer focal length making high powers easier to achieve without needing very short focal length eyepieces.  The ED80 is a larger, fatter and heavier scope and it does have a 2" focuser so 2" eyepieces are a possibility for very wide field viewing. The optics in the ED80 are good enough to support 160x-200x magnification when viewing conditions are good.

The 200P dobsonian is in a different league for deep sky and planetary viewing of course but not suitable for a future that involves imaging.

idigitize........Hi, Too many wants? Lol

You cant physically use two scopes at the same time! its use one then the other, but if your better half gets involved, the Dob makes sense, but you`ll be over £300 for that. Saving  your money  now is giving you more time to make the right decision (I know Christmas is just around the corner?) Maybe the better half knows you have £600 and provides the rest!

Not sure if you have all the photographic gear yet, you dont mention?

I`m (only) just investigating AP myself. My views of M31, Andromeda, with the Skyliner is visible as a grey smudge in my light polluted garden, but check out the `getting started with imaging` forum ("Yet another M31" by Alveprinsen...)  using an {Evostar 80ED Pro mounted on a NEQ6 Pro, guided by a Orion Starshoot Autoguider through a Startraveler 102/500 scope] From my little research so-far, I`d like the Skywatcher Evostar 80 DS-PRO ED APO in my collection. Those Binoculars will see you through a little longer.

idigitize........Hi, Too many wants? Lol

You cant physically use two scopes at the same time! its use one then the other.

I disagree! one for imaging and one for visual,  and heck one for guiding if we are counting! 

Just to throw another idea into the mix, how about a 200p on an EQ5 and fire a tracking motor on it, that is in your current budget? I have the ST80 and the 200p but just for visual while you save up more for AP I think you would find FAR more satisfaction from the 200p, then when more funds allow stick an 80ED on the EQ5 or get a heavier mount and use it with the 200p while saving for an 80ED.

I have nothing but praise for the ST80, its great and useful as a grab n go as well as a guide-scope, I use mine a lot on its own. You wont go wrong getting one but I think you would be more entertained by the views through something larger.

I was very much in the same position as yourself, I opted for the 200p on an EQ5 goto, then I got the St80 for guiding, as I type this I have an 80ED pro in the hands of fedex being delivered from FLO, I am going to use it on the EQ5 until I decide on either an HEQ5 or to just go with an NEQ6, I am still mulling that over.

This is only advice from my own experience though, sometimes I wonder if I should have just bought the HEQ5 at the start, but then I wouldn't have learned all I have learned by pushing the EQ5 and 200p combo. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you decide on.

Thanks again... My cam kit consists of d800, 24-70. 70-200 2.8's and a 300mm f4 1.4 and 1.7 tcs.

I stuck the 300 mm on a flimsy tripod for 5 seconds at 1600iso, aiming at m31 on weds night and was really impressed with the blurry smudge :) seriously it impresses me that I got anything.

I have had a scope before so know what not to expect and also looked through a 200 dob the other night at a local club.

The 200p and pds look attractive packs too.

A 2nd hand eq5 pro and new ed80 might squeeze in budget ish!

Your proposed imaging rig is good for imaging, but don't forget guide camera.

An ST80 can go on a camera tripod in a pinch but its performance has been accurately descibed by previous members.

I suppose you might also consider an 8 inch Dob for now, later to be mounted on an HEQ5 and used for imaging. But an NEQ6 would be better. And a refractor is easier for imaging. And, and...

Olly

Archived