Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to look for on a 2nd hand heq5 pro

I'm looking at a secondhand heq5 pro. Is there anything specific I should be asking questions about or things that go wrong on them? Or more liable to wear and tear?

Might sound like a stupid question, but never owning one before I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I'm guessing between 450 - 500 is about and average price.

From my experience with second hand EQ5's the best guidance would be to leave them completely alone, nothing but bother and trouble, I have been suffering with mine for the past few months, nothing seems to work apart from the £150 scope that came with it.

I would say you'd want to be looking at the following with a used HEQ5.

1) Check for backlash - Tighten up the DEC clutch nice and tight and see if there is any movement on the DEC axis (if there was a scope on there you'd be able to feel it moving from side to side)

2) Check the RA axis - Again tighten the clutch and see if there's any movement at all.

3) Listen to it slewing - It will sound a bit grindy, but that shouldn't put you off!

4) General signs of wear and tear - dinks, paint chips etc - Any thing that could give you an idea how it's been treated.

5) If possible I'd like to see it running and guiding at night as well

They're great little mounts and if there's any issues, you can always look on the astrobaby website and she's written some great strip down and maintenance guides that will sort out any niggles you may have.

Archived