Dust lanes at last!!!!

nephilim

Stuck my head outside as the weather forecast said wall to wall cloud & sure enough it was crystal clear :rolleyes: (most times its the opposite of what they say nowadays) so went up the road onto the fells. I picked up a 2nd hand BST Starguider (15mm) the other day from a fellow SGL member so decided to give it first light.

First of all I went to the double cluster & was very impressed with this mid ranged EP, stars were pin sharp to about 90% of the FOV the double was beautiful as usual, tried it out with my Revelation 2.5x barlow & still pin sharp, considering the price of this combo (relatively 'cheap' in this hobby @ around £90 new) they're a bargain!! . Then over to M42, again, lovely & crisp blue/white stars.

Now to the title of this topic. I've seen M31 many times before & always have a look every time i'm out but have never seen a hint of those elusive dust lanes (apart from the images on here etc) The transparency wasnt great but was still able to see it naked eye. I put in my Maxvision 24mm as this usually gives me the best view of this fuzzy & although a very nice sight it was as it always is for me, a bright core surrounded by 'fuzz', I then put in the BST, at first it wasnt much different to the 24 but after a couple of mins I noticed 'something' different but it didnt registar until after a good 5mins when sure enough 2 long lines of pitch darkness came into focus at the bottom left sweeping round to the right, the contrast was fantastic & i observed for another 10mins until i realised a faint 'blob' to the top left. I realised this was M32, every time i've looked at M31 before i've always just looked at the core always forgetting about M32 but there it was (another 1st for me) having both these distant galaxies in the same field of view with the dark dust lanes of M31 giving great contrast to the view was one of the best sights i've seen so far. The clouds then started coming in so I packed up a very happy man :grin:

Not sure why the Starguider showed the dust lanes for me when no other EP has but it must have a sweet spot thats perfect for my eyes?

On a side note, after I'd packed away I remembered about M110 as I was to mesmerised by the other 2....................Next time!

Steve

I've caught hints of dust lanes in M51 in my back garden which is pretty dark but M31 has always eluded me so I cant wait to use the 15mm at a darker site, the fells are good but theres still lp glow from nearby Penrith.

Great report and very inspiring! I need to take more time when trying to view it and give up too soon. I notice that you didn't begin to get what you after until several minutes at the EP. That BST sounds good! Nice FOV in the 15mm. I've got a 12mm and need to check whether the FOV is too tight for Andromeda's size. Interesting that your Barlow worked well with it as I sometimes struggle but only when trying to max out the mag.

Had a look in the bins last night and definitely got the core but little else. I'm hoping my upcoming 10x50's will work a treat on this elusive target. Just need to sort out a good dark location!

Your 12mm with the 130p should be similar to the 15 with my 200p. With the barlow your max mag is slightly less than mine (although sky quality plays a big part)., and your right, I find that observing objects for at least 10mins starts to bring out the detail. Like you say though a good pair of bins will give u a much fuller view as M31 is massive & impossible to fit the whole thing in my scope with any type of ep. Good luck.

Steve

Glad you enjoy the 15mm. Images are so nice and offer good contrast compared to the stock ones.  Mine work well enough even at f/4.7. 

You can see the dust lanes,  it is all in the title of the eyepiece, a guider to the stars :0)

Nice report.

I think at first we all tend to look at objects without giving them the time they deserve. The more you look the more you see.

I agree, with the poor weather recently I tend to rush around trying to bag as many as possible before the clouds come in, from now on i'll be spending time on the objects I observe.

Steve

Nice report.

I think at first we all tend to look at objects without giving them the time they deserve. The more you look the more you see.

I've never used one - so don't shoot me, but isn't this the problem with dobs? I find that the 'more you look more you see ' rule applies to most objects, especially the planets, and I can't see how the nudge nudge dob technique is conducive to this. Over to the dob mob for defence!

Excellent report and thank you for posting. The only chance I get of seeing dust lanes is out in the scrub-lands with the 10", so I think you've done an amazing job.

I've never used one - so don't shoot me, but isn't this the problem with dobs? I find that the 'more you look more you see ' rule applies to most objects, especially the planets, and I can't see how the nudge nudge dob technique is conducive to this. Over to the dob mob for defence!

It may have something to do with the fluidity of rockerbox, Kerry. I can't speak for other dobs but I find my own truss dob runs really smoothly and it isn't a case of nudging but more of gliding with the object. I have no problems sketching, or following planets with the dob even with true fields of view down to about 0.16º.

The main problem I see for the 'more you see' rule is the natural tendency to want to get in a decent nights session - especially after a spell of bad weather - which can often equate to ticking off as many objects as possible. I get into the same trouble when heading out to a dark site. I can only do this two or three times a month and I really have to tell myself to slow down, or what amounts to the same, to start a sketch.    

I agree, with the poor weather recently I tend to rush around trying to bag as many as possible before the clouds come in, from now on i'll be spending time on the objects I observe.

Ay, this is sound practice. What I've found easier in my own case is to tell myself to make at least one sketch every session. If I'm wishing to run around, I'll just pick off a few doubles :p

Thanks Qualia,

It certainly will make me think next time i'm out, If spending that extra time pays off the way it did with M31 then i'm all for it.

@Kerry although I was using an EQ mount, I wasnt using motors just the ra & dec knobs so the scope wasnt steady all the time, I think it was the time spent at the ep that made the difference. I've only used a dob  once (12" Skywatcher flexitube) & the slewing was very smooth, i'm actually saving for a big dob at the moment as I find them much easier than an EQ for purely visual.

Steve

Good thread.

I have found that I have to curtail the tendency to tick off the objects. When I first got my new SCT earlier this year I did get a bit of Messier fever and notched up as many as possible. But I find it far more rewarding to linger a bit. I've resolved to give sketching a go to encourage the lingering.

As far as dobs are concerned, I bow to everyone's experience. I would love to try one to experience this smooth 'gliding' , to quote Qualia, for myself.

Excellent report and thank you for posting. The only chance I get of seeing dust lanes is out in the scrub-lands with the 10", so I think you've done an amazing job.

It may have something to do with the fluidity of rockerbox, Kerry. I can't speak for other dobs but I find my own truss dob runs really smoothly and it isn't a case of nudging but more of gliding with the object. I have no problems sketching, or following planets with the dob even with true fields of view down to about 0.16º.

The main problem I see for the 'more you see' rule is the natural tendency to want to get in a decent nights session - especially after a spell of bad weather - which can often equate to ticking off as many objects as possible. I get into the same trouble when heading out to a dark site. I can only do this two or three times a month and I really have to tell myself to slow down, or what amounts to the same, to start a sketch.    

Ay, this is sound practice. What I've found easier in my own case is to tell myself to make at least one sketch every session. If I'm wishing to run around, I'll just pick off a few doubles :p

When I was looking at Jupiter the other night all I was doing was applying a little pressure to the  OTA with one hand at 200X, applying just that magic pressure  point to the tension control knob , it was almost like having a fine control as if it were a fine control on an EQ mount ( no that I ever used one, but imagine how it may be like ) . I observed the planet for a full hour this way.  Can't say I have any complaints, that being said  getting the tension set is quite a fine point to get it that way on the Dob mount, a little fiddly. :smiley:

Your 12mm with the 130p should be similar to the 15 with my 200p. With the barlow your max mag is slightly less than mine (although sky quality plays a big part)., and your right, I find that observing objects for at least 10mins starts to bring out the detail. Like you say though a good pair of bins will give u a much fuller view as M31 is massive & impossible to fit the whole thing in my scope with any type of ep. Good luck.

Steve

I had a go with the 12mm the other night and it was nice. Simply too much LP but at least it was nearly at the zenith. I saw more than ever before by taking my time for a change ;). Good advice, thanks! I think I can make out the elongated general shape of the galaxy. But I bet even my little scope would provide a stunning view from a pitch black environment.

I had a go with the 12mm the other night and it was nice. Simply too much LP but at least it was nearly at the zenith. I saw more than ever before by taking my time for a change ;). Good advice, thanks! I think I can make out the elongated general shape of the galaxy. But I bet even my little scope would provide a stunning view from a pitch black environment.

I think it will mate, a smaller scope at a dark site can show more than a 12" scope at light polluted site.

Archived