Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Tonight anyone ??? in and around the Black country???

Northern Soul man

Nice 1 Paul, that's going to be a lot better than the standard tripod, I broke mine, the spreaders were a little weak an I was a bit heavy handed an broke 1 of the brackets so decided to sell it the electrics were fine just the plastic was a little thin.

That mount should be a lot better mate, just come in really nice sky but it's high cloud that's movin in so had a nice look at the old favourites, quick look at Neptune and Uranus and had a quickie around Cassiopeia, all in all a nice couple of hours let us know how you get on with the new mount, all the best an regards. Paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a footnote.

Just come back from a bonus hour when it cleared at 4am and Jupiter was Right there. Brighter than bright.

Was going to bed but 'Had' to. Setup done earlier so I was on it in 10mins.

Meade S4000 26mm and look...

Oh.. My.. God.. !  (Remember this my 1st ever time looking through an instrument like this, ever at J)

Phew.. 9.7mm next.. Wow. Is this Cassini or a scope!

Belts, crisp belts and 3 moons.

THIS is why I love Astronomy. THIS is why I bought it.

[removed word]. Eyepiece fever to calm myself, again.

Sorry to bore, but I had to share guys.

(Even woke my 78 year old dad to come look - he Loved it)

Nite / Morning.

Scott.

Well thats was a short lived session again.

I was looking at M13 which looked great but then started to fade in and out of focus, i thought it was my eyes but after looking up there was high cloud completely covering everything up apart from the brightest stars,so left it for an hour but it just got thicker again.

So called it a night again.

But the new stand was lot better i'm glad to say for the short time i was out there again.

Sounds like you are having better luck by you Scott.

Nice 1 Scott, even though I had my first light years ago, I still look forward to setting up and getting the first views of each object, what surprised me last night was when I was running through the named  objects in the database, I came across the Saturn nebula - though that it was too low to see from my garden, sort of due South I have a row of houses running up the hill from South towards the SE, just sent the scope to it and amazed that I could see it, it must just pop out over the roof tops for a brief period, then disappear - but really bright in the 1100, had the OIII filter in, and such a bright object, there's a reference star in the same FOV - amazing - so that's another 1 for the list.

Paulus, just as I was packing away about 9.15, I noticed the high cloud and thought that it was going to be here for the night, had a couiple of hours though, glad you had a chance to try the new mount, it'll take you a few sessions to get the hang of it mate but nice 1.   Paul.

Nice 1 Scott, even though I had my first light years ago, I still look forward to setting up and getting the first views of each object, what surprised me last night was when I was running through the named  objects in the database, I came across the Saturn nebula - though that it was too low to see from my garden, sort of due South I have a row of houses running up the hill from South towards the SE, just sent the scope to it and amazed that I could see it, it must just pop out over the roof tops for a brief period, then disappear - but really bright in the 1100, had the OIII filter in, and such a bright object, there's a reference star in the same FOV - amazing - so that's another 1 for the list.

Paulus, just as I was packing away about 9.15, I noticed the high cloud and thought that it was going to be here for the night, had a couiple of hours though, glad you had a chance to try the new mount, it'll take you a few sessions to get the hang of it mate but nice 1.   Paul.

Yeah im glad you new mount is good Paul, ive been keeping tabs and I like your set ready for the Autumn pleasures. Rid of plastic problems, haha.

Funny, I have an archive of 40+ Sky at Night episodes and watched one on the Saturn Nebula, then come here and read this. Looks awesome and I hadn't thought about if I could see it here yet. Nice to know of a new target, cheers Paul.

Clear skies bruv,

Scott.

Archived