SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Tonight anyone ??? in and around the Black country???

Northern Soul man

Hi To all you lovely Astronomers - wonder if there's anything going on tonight (Sat - 5th Oct) - been looking at the forecasts and it looks ok - ish I think - well if you can rely on the forcasts - been a while and the nights are now getting darker - has anyone been up to Cosford? - or any other locations around and about.

Paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul good to hear from you.

Not sure whats happeneing to the Cozzy site as when me and PorkyB went along earlier this year it was gated off so didn't get chance to get in there.

I haven't been out meself anywhere just in the back garden when the weather allowed which isn't very often.

Hi Ya Paul, Nero, nice 1 guys, I think its going to be hit and miss - I've checked a couple of weather sites, but as you know, looks like 50/50, remember you saying Paul, have to see if we get a little more interest, any other local sites - not sure about Highgate common, not sure how dark and safe - see what happens on here it would be nice to get a good group together - also Habberley valley near Bewdley I think was visited last year by one of the local societies - not sure how dark though.  Keep in touch and we can see what comes of the post??

Paul,

See this link :

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=Cosford&locationID=61528&lat=52.4&lon=-2.2&findtype=

I set it to Cosford for you.

I find it very good for Astronomy forecasts.

(Just looked for myself and thought it was wet. No, its dry and clear, Yippee!)

Tripod setup this afternoon then.

I am tempted to put it in the boot and come join you guys.

Scott.

Paul,

See this link :

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=Cosford&locationID=61528&lat=52.4&lon=-2.2&findtype=

I set it to Cosford for you.

I find it very good for Astronomy forecasts.

(Just looked for myself and thought it was wet. No, its dry and clear, Yippee!)

Tripod setup this afternoon then.

I am tempted to put it in the boot and come join you guys.

Scott.

And this. Cosford   ->   http://www.weatherweb.net/townforecast7.php?lat=52.5&lon=357.5&city=Cosford&country=United-Kingdom&vislat=53&vislon=

Hi Scott, Thanks very much for the links, I've added them to my bookmarks, nice 1, not sure what's happening for Cosford, its been a while since any of us have met up, earlier post on here (Pauluus) said the gates were locked last visit, not sure if we need to arrange another site though - keep your eyes on here mate - think it may be the back garden tonight though - see if we get any more posts.   Paul.

Clouds been breaking here slowly then had a nice clear patch about 8-45 so started getting the gear out just ready to align then cloud just rolled in and now just blanket cloud,but am still hopeful as looks like there are clear spells in other parts of the country reading other posts??

Think it's patchy all over the midlands as not been clear here, got the curtains open here still total cloud think I'll give it another hour or so, Paul hope u read earlier post mate been in touch with Steve an Cosfords finished so we need another site Steve's been lookin but no luck we'll just have to see how we go I think mate

Looks even thicker now.

Yes Paul i saw your post and suspected as much really.We never got to observe at Cozzy but the sky did look darker out that way.

Only other site i know of thats accessible is the farm i posted about but it has to be free,you have to pay and is further away for you Paul.?

Give it an hour or so, it WILL be clear.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/snowdome-tamworth#?tab=map&map=WeatherCode&fcTime=1380954600&zoom=7&lon=-2.21&lat=52.23

Go here, click the 'IR satellite and rain' button on Menu & Play.

This shows met office cloud up until; 15-30mins ago.

Watch the last hour and you will see it is moved E, clearing 11-12 for you. And 12-1 for me.

I am on the ball with weather not one drop shall fall on the LX.

'Stay on Target, stay on target'. there coming in too fast.. 'Stay on target'

(guess the film quote if your bored ..

Scott.

Midnight on - trust me, it will break.

All reports say 0% mid, & high cloud.

Only this low belt moving E is in the way from 8pm-12am.

Watch the last hour and you can visualize where it is in the next hour.

Just my thoughts and tactics.

Yep, Midnight until 3am I was out. Then slept til 6am and went back out so see if Jupiter had come over the roof.

Gonna move the scope tonight so I catch Jupiter, shame I missed it, but im not moving a scope at 6am.

Scott.

I know, I only have 1 place to set up in the garden, once you've done it a few times, it gives you an idea of the transit times of the different Planets/ Constellations, then you can really choose your times to go out, I have houses to my SE and S, so I have to check Uranus and Neptune, as they are quite low down on the Ecliptic if I want to observe them, shortly though as you say Jupiter and Mars will be rising earlier, so as time goes by I'll get ready for these, glad you had a nice night Scott - just think soon, we can set up just after tea - bring on the winter.  Paul.

I know, I only have 1 place to set up in the garden, once you've done it a few times, it gives you an idea of the transit times of the different Planets/ Constellations, then you can really choose your times to go out, I have houses to my SE and S, so I have to check Uranus and Neptune, as they are quite low down on the Ecliptic if I want to observe them, shortly though as you say Jupiter and Mars will be rising earlier, so as time goes by I'll get ready for these, glad you had a nice night Scott - just think soon, we can set up just after tea - bring on the winter.  Paul.

I done the same last night.

After studying Stellerium, I worked out if I can see Pleiades at 0245 then I can see Jupiter at 0555.

Didn't quite clear my rooftop doh! So colse but...

Not quite, so I am taking my scope to my parents this afternoon as their garden is E and mine faces W.

Can't wait to see jupiter.!!!

Nice 1, wait till Jupiter is nice and high up, get a compass and just check your due South and wait till she's around due South and have a crack with that Meade 4000 9.7mm, a lot of people don't like these, but I have a set for my 5" Mak and I find them really nice for the money - not sure  what your eyesights like, wether you observe with glasses on or you don't need them (I do, but prefer to take them off to observe) - you might get away with the 9.7, as Jupiter is nice and high up, but its really trial and error, some people can increase the mag and just persevere with a slightly "softer" image, as you settle and just "look" you'll get just a few seconds of steady air every now and again, you can then start to build a "picture", with the mag from the 9.7mm your getting close to the upper limit ~ X 300 or so, but as said before Jupiter's riding high on the ecliptic, this may allow you to push the mag a little, but really trial and error Scott  -All the best mate, just seen the forecast, cloudy here, but may be clearer the further east you go.

Archived