Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 120 degree - come on !!!!

Jupiter alone would still look better in my scope with the 8mm Starguider or the 6mm William Optic and about 93.5% cheaper than the ES.

Using the  ES 120 virtually  in Stellarium, Jupiter  looks  so pathetic in all that space, and why spend so much on an EP (£1122.oo UK)that will effectively just  end up as a finder EP?

Jeez Charic, why not tell us what you really think ;)

Have you used many ultra wides? or any ES eyepieces?

I've owned both BST's and ES82's/ES100's and I think the BST's are good value! Then again I think the ES82's and ES100's are good value! Yes they cost several times more, but they give me several times more pleasure at the eyepiece :) I see it as a worthwhile investment to get the most out of my scopes.

I can honestly assure you that there are no pathetic planets through my ES eyepieces, they are sharp as a tack with superb contrast and control of scatter. Plus its like dipping your eye into space, very immersive! Stellarium falls short of this experience in my opinion ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.........maybe I should have added 'small' and used 'pathetically? in my text, instead of just pathetic. My reference was to infer the size of the planet in so much space from such a wide field EP!

I'll never own a 120° ES, and when using Stellarium as a 'guide' as to what Jupiter would look like in the scale of things, 'pathetically small was my  initial thought.

.........maybe I should have added 'small' and used 'pathetically? in my text, instead of just pathetic. My reference was to infer the size of the planet in so much space from such a wide field EP!

I'll never own a 120° ES, and when using Stellarium as a 'guide' as to what Jupiter would look like in the scale of things, 'pathetically small was my  initial thought.

to be fair anything is going to look small in a 8" Dob, if you want big visual image's you have start going 12" or above.so i kind of agree with you that yes it will look small in a 8" dob but in johns 12" it wont.

Archived