Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A different mount for a Heritage 130p? GoTo, Video-Astronomy and a full backpack

Schorhr

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a portable mount to attach my Heritage 130p to, alowing me to carry both in a large backpack (so under 10kg/22lbs for both would be ideal).

I hope it doesn't bother anyone if I throw my thoughts, intended usage, and a list of mounts I looked at, out there first.

I want to use a pd cam, so short exposures (<=20 seconds), short focal length (650mm, perhaps 0,5x reducer), I'd get away with an AltAz mount.

I do have a Astro3 eq-mount; That one barely carries the Heritage 130p. Also I have an eq plattform, it does a better job at tracking while keeping it stable...

Still, a smaller mount, possibly with goto would be nice, when I want to show a group of people or students a few objects.

I initially had a Skywatcher Az Goto in mind, as it's 209£/250€, one German shop here even has it for that price with a 70/700 fh refractor;

This is the mount I had in mind:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html

I did read a bit about different hand controllers and firmwares, but after all the research I might be mixing up things with the nexstar mounts...

The skywatcher mount is also sold with a 130/650 and specified for up to 5kg, seeming the most suitable in this price range.

The cheapest Nexstar (SLT) is specified with 3.5kg but costs 299€/251£,

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1824_Celestron-GoTo-Gabelmontierung-NexStar-SLT---bis-3-5kg.html

So does it offer any advantages compared to the skywatcher mount?

I also considered the meade ds2000 but reviews suggest it will not carry a 130/650 well, and tracking is a bit worse.

As it's only 187€/157£ it would have been nice, but the Max. Load is specified with 2.5kg only, meaning the 3kg heritage tube is a bit heavy (and longer then the Maks usualy intended for these mounts).

Ioptron cube sounds interesting, but while some versions start at 200 dollars in the US, the only one I could find here costs 290€ (244£)-

Thats already more then I wanted to spend for a AltAz mount, and I read the (cheaper) ioptron are a bit plastic-y?

As the telescope would not bump against the mount when viewing close to the zenith or horizon, it is a nice mount.

Regarding the eq mounts, http://forum.astronomie.de/phpapps/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1034470/Die_ultimative_Reisemontierung would be awesome, but out of my budget range. A regular NEQ3 could work but price-wise only with motor tracking; perhaps even a NEQ5, nice mount, but even that is at it's limit if I plan to upgrade to a larger telescope in the future (8"f4 is it's limit for visual use iirc). Not to mention it's weight would be too high to transport it without car or bike hanger.

So I'd rather not get an eq mount now, and a good one later in a distant future.

A mount controllable via Stellarium would be nice, but no must. It would enable me to track things like the ISS though, that would be a great feature.

-Does anyone know other mounts in the price range of 200-250£ / 250-300€?

-Does anyone use one of these mounts with a 130/650 or similar heavy/long telescope, and can report on stability and perhaps photographic/video astronomy use?

I know it's an unusual request, but I'd like to gather more info then what I could from reading reviews so far. It's usualy only for visual use, as normally an altAz-Mount is not used for anything more then imaging planets due to field rotation...

Thank you!

I used the Heritage 130p with the camera yesterday. As the flextube allows to change the distance of the secondary to the primary, it works (I have attached a DSLR before, too).

Focusing is of course a bit more work then with a focuser, but if I push the rods with both thumbs carefully it does work very well.

The helical focuser is indeed not suited for any focusing as it's wobbly, and turning it will tangle up the wires ;-)

These images where done yesterday without tracking and just eyeballing the focus with the control image at 50% on screen;

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6/RingNebel_3.png (sense-up at 64x and 512x on the last frame, of course it did not work without tracking; I have not used the eq-platform yesterday)

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6/alb_0.jpg A well known double star ;-)

With the eq mount and careful focusing infinity it should be possible, but a different mount would be a nice solution to avoid all these obstacles.

Of course a full tube 130p newtonian would be nice due to the better focuser but I really don't see much sense in buying another 130/650, just to have to re-position the primary mirror ;-)

I know my current set up is far from ideal, but I want a low budget version. My focus will still be visual observation. And: Portability.

I can't carry a HEQ-5 Goto mount, and I can't afford it either at the moment.

Ive seen the Heritage mounted on an AZ4. Looks a bit weird but apparently it works. Not exactly cheap @ £177.

It does work, I've got an AZ4 (although I bought it for a different scope).

I'm not sure you can get an AZ4 GoTo, you could always stick a GoTo head on the AZ4 tripod though (same tripod as the EQ5) :).

But why should I Get a Az4 in the First place then if I'm just using the tripod? ;-)

I'm currently trying to find out what mount is more rigid;

Skywatcher az goto or iOptron Cube 8500B, reviews are either euphoric and/or without much detail on how rigid they are with the larger telescope.

Probably pushing things to their limit, but those two would still be easy to carry.

Archived