NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light: Lyra Optic 66mm F/6 ED

Naemeth

I'd not planned to go out tonight, but when I saw it was clear tonight I thought to myself "Yes, finally a clear night where I'm up to some stargazing", I didn't feel like dragging out the 10" dob so I decided to give a well deserved first light to my Lyra 66mm F/6 'frac. Bearing in mind I was observing from my back garden, I knew I wasn't going to get much DSO spotting, and frankly I just wanted to get out under the stars. This scope would normally only be used for dark skies, where it has a lot more potential.

First up was getting everything set-up, and it reminded me the main reason why this scope is last on the list of scopes I want to take out (unless cycling to dark sites), it takes the longest to set-up and has the smallest aperture... the plus side to this, is it is very very portable, everything fits in a backpack and a small shoulder bag.

Anyway, next up I put in the 1.25" diagonal this time, and the 25mm TV plossl (limiting myself to my travel kit of eyepieces - the 25mm TV plossl, the 10.5mm TV plossl and the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom), and was greeted with wonderful views of so many stars. I knew I'd notice the reduction in aperture from the 10", and could easily see that the stars had lost a lot of apparent brightness, but this didn't really bother me as I've such a large collection of scopes that they all have their merits...

First up was the Double Cluster - always a favourite, and I always manage to come across it by accident! Looked lovely as usual, could see some very obvious dust (or similar matter) around the stars, and the image was bright, but the cluster did seem quite small (the advantages of a 3+ degree FOV I suppose...)

Next I moved around to the star fields around Cassiopeia, and was amazed by how rich the star fields were, especially considering I was using such a small scope. It even brought a tear to my eye, although part of that may have been to do with the lack of observing I've done recently...

Next, I moved the scope over to M45, one of my favourite objects, looked lovely again but still small, perhaps I need to get used to these wide fields..

Next, for a challenge I swung over to M31, after a minute searching I finally found it, quite bright considering, small though, about the size of a squashed pea. Lovely though, for a laugh I put in the 10.5mm TV plossl (made it larger, didn't notice any drop in brightness), then the Nagler Zoom, it was only when I went to 3mm that M31 became any darker. Unfortunately I didn't managed the companions (M32 and M110), but I didn't expect to.

The scope really does struggle through the light pollution, but as long as you view far from the horizon, you can really see quite a lot :). One great thing about this combination is it was at the perfect height for me! Even at Zenith I was only slightly bending over, it made for a very comfortable session.

I'm one happy chap, sorry about the lack of pictures, I think I'm going to have to order myself another camera battery charger as I still can't find it and it's been about 3 days.

Nice report Naemeth. These little fracs are just superb for wide field, aren't they. If I were you I would treat myself to a 24mm SWA EP (I trust the 66mm only accepts 1.25"). Something like the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg I have is awesome in such a scope. 4mm exit pupil is great, and the extra FOV compared to the 25mm Plossl is magnificent (4.12 deg at 16.5x). They are not too heavy and an absolute steal at the moment.

Nice report Naemeth. These little fracs are just superb for wide field, aren't they. If I were you I would treat myself to a 24mm SWA EP (I trust the 66mm only accepts 1.25"). Something like the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg I have is awesome in such a scope. 4mm exit pupil is great, and the extra FOV compared to the 25mm Plossl is magnificent (4.12 deg at 16.5x). They are not too heavy and an absolute steal at the moment.

Good call on a 24mm 68 degree 1.25" eyepiece, hadn't thought of that. It does accept 2" eyepieces, but I believe I'd need a 2" SCT diagonal, as there isn't enough in focus with an SCT adaptor and diagonal (and 1.25" converter). I only have 1 2" eyepiece at the moment.

If I wanted, I could afford a 24mm Pan, not going to leave my feeling TVs left out ;).

• 5 months later...

Oh hello. I'm late in catching up as I just got started with AP and am looking very hard at either one these 66s or a 70 for both viewing and AP. So, you still in love with this little guy and do you have any images from it to share? Please do? Thanks!

Oh hello. I'm late in catching up as I just got started with AP and am looking very hard at either one these 66s or a 70 for both viewing and AP. So, you still in love with this little guy and do you have any images from it to share? Please do? Thanks!

I am - I just don't get much chance to use it :).

As for AP, I haven't yet got a suitable mount, so until I do imaging will have to wait. I'll try and keep you up to date if you'd like :).

Nice report Naemeth I have the 4" Lyra refractor, it is my first & mobile telescope, got on with it and was very impressed with it from the start, definatley a keeper.  The new price has gone up since I bought mine so it holding its value as well.

Archived