Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader hyperion set

space3

Im lacking eye pieces, and am looking at the Baader Hyperion set, and im curious for opinions here, should I get this set or just buy a few EPs to fill the gaps in my collection, 

I have a 25mm celestron, 16mm TV Nagler, 9mm TV Nagler

I could buy two or three expensive EPS but thats as far as my budget will go,

I would like one wide field EP, how would the 24mm Baader work using the 2" barrel,?

these EPs come with a 1.25 and a 2" barels, is their any disadvantages to this.?

or is an EP set at simply 2" better?

I guess what Im trying to ask is should I buy this set or buy say a 7mm and 18mm x-cel, and a pentax or Televue 2" wide field

any opinions and advise please

cheers Derek

Tend to agree with YKSE on the Maxvision, I had most of the Meade version of these and they punch thier weight. I don't know what scope you have got but I see you have some Televues, if the scope is fast then the Maxvisions will stand up better than the Baaders. You have to remember that when Meade marketed these eyepieces they were not cheap even though the Maxvision version will not break the bank.

If on the other hand you want to stick with Televue then you know what you are going to get. With them coming down in price, though still expensive they are better value than they were.

Alan

Another vote for the MaxVision. I have the 24mm 68deg, and you cannot fault it for the money. Contrast and sharpness are fine even in comparison to my collection of TV and Pentax glass.

Regarding the difference between 2" and 1.25" EPs: This is purely a matter of the maximum field-stop diameter. The field stop is the usually metal aperture that forms the circular edge to your field of view. A 2" barrel allows a 47mm field stop, whereas a 1.25" barrel no more than about 27mm. The 24mm Hyperion, 24mm MaxVision 68 deg, and 24mm Panoptic all reach this maximal field stop for 1.25" barrels. Sure, they could be put in a 2" barrel, but that would not add anything except weight (it's just like adding a 2" adapter on a 1.25" EP). By contrast my 22mm Nagler has to be a 2" EP, because its field stop is larger than 27mm, due to the 82 degree apparent field of view. The dual fitting of some Baader Hyperions (and my 12mm Nagler) is just a matter of convenience.

Archived