NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Controlling EQ6 Pro with Starry Night

Does anyone use Starry Night to control an EQ6? If so, I could use some help. At present, I'm just using the mount and computer indoors till I can get it working.

I'm using Starry Night Pro Plus 6.2.1. The SynScan handset firmware is version 3.20 (updated today, but had the same problems with 3.12). Connection from computer to handset is via the supplied RJ-11 to serial cable connected to a USB port using Astronomiser's serial to USB converter. On the Telescope Set Up dialog in Starry Night, I've selected Celestron and tried NexStar 5i, 8i and 8 GPS. Where I have a choice I've selected EqN for Track Mode and I enter the same latitude and longitude as stored in the handset. I've got the latest ASCOM 4.1 drivers.

I always park the scope (in the home position) via the handset and hence always start from there. I switch on the mount, go through the location, date and time questions and say "no" to alignment. At this point I press "Connect" in Starry Night and the little red cross gets displayed sitting next to Polaris.

Right clicking on an object and choosing "slew to" from the context menu seems to work OK. When I use "Show Position" on the handset, the RA/Dec coordinates look OK but there is another pair of coordinates shown which I assumed were the Alt/Az equivalents, but they don't agree with what Starry Night shows. What I took to be the Alt is equal to the Dec and the Azimuth makes no sense eg trying it a little while ago on Dubhe, the RA was 11h3.7m with what I thought was Az 247º 42' - no idea what that is.

If at any point I click on Sync Gaze button in Starry Night, the little red cross zooms off to La La Land and thereafter there is no chance of getting the mount to point to the correct location.

If I use the Park button, Starry Night freezes and won't thaw out till I park the scope with the handset and switch off the power. Even then the display remains corrupted until I manage to click one of the two Disconnect butons that are displayed.

The Set Park does nothing discernible.

The Home Scope remains greyed out at all times.

All in all, I have little confidence in using Starry Night to control the scope. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Mike

Short answer.....sync does not work with syscan which is one reason why Im dumping the handset and moving over to eqmod. I'll be doing a write up soon with my results.

There is nothing wrong with Starrynight, just poor programming from the guys at Synscan.

I would like to add my vote for the EQMod. I have used nothing else for over a year now and would not go back to the hand controller for anything.

For anyone else using EQMod (or the hand controller for that matter), if you are not already doing the following, give it a try! Next time you start your session and do your FIRST star alignment, when the slew has finished, undo the RA and DEC clutches and MANUALLY push the telescope about until the guide star is centred on the sensor or in the centre of the eyepiece, then tighten up the clutches. Next session, you will find that the first star is much better aligned than normal as you will have parked the mount to the perfectly correct 'PARK' position rather than relying on the 'weights down, telescope pointing up' routine which is always open to visual interpretation.

My comments on the EQMod can be found here :-

http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/controlling_the_eq6_mount_direct.htm

Edited to add:- and it does work for the HEQ5 as well

Archived